Displaying a flag collection

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by coasterville, Feb 27, 2010.

1. coasterville

coasterville Member

I have a smaill but nice flag collection. The problem is that most of them spend their time folded up in storage.

This week, I ate dinner at a Soctish pub and restaurant and noticed the flag display rack they are using:
    [​IMG]
    (Sorry for the crappy cell phone photo)

Anyway, that got me thinking that would be a neat way of displaying my collection of cotton US historical replica flags. I have a Betsy Ross, Bennington, and Star Spangled Banner (with "dancing stars") all in cotton. I could flank those with a cotton 50 star flag, and then put either a Grand Union (I don't think they make that in cotton) or State of Ohio flag on the other side.

I've tried searching the web for flag display rack, but coming up empty handed. Any thoughts as to the idea, or how to acquire such a rack. I know I can get nice flagstaffs to put into it from any good flag shop.

2. Bruce

Bruce New Member

I am new to this site. I am trying to find out why the stars in the blue are located on the upper left hand side. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Two reasons. The proximate reason is because the United States Flag Code says that is how you are supposed to display the flag.

The underlying reason is from heraldry: the upper left corner has always been the point of honor on a shield, hence the US flag is oriented with the stars representing all the states is at the point of honor.

Nick

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, Coasterville !

Long time, no chat ! :D

I don't know if this will help. or not. My thoughts immediately went to a set-up like what some stores use to sell big posters or rugs.

The posters/rugs are hung horizontally on an in-line connected series of "swingable" rods. Each poster/rug is attached to its own rod, separate from the others. The effect is somewhat like the pages of a book that you can "leaf through". To look at a new poster/rug, you just "turn the page".

Hope that makes some kind of sense to you. I know what it looks like in my mind's memory, but I don't know if I've been able to describe it so that you can "see" it too.

Good Luck !!! :D

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

5. coasterville

coasterville Member

Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about. In fact my local flag store uses a very similar system to display all the flags they have in stock.

6. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Coasterville ! :D

Well, I'm glad that my description made SOME sort of sense to you. As far as I know, we don't have a "Flag Store" or "Flag Shop" around here (Eugene-Springfield, Oregon). :(

It makes sense that a Flag Shop would use something similar to what I described to display the Flags they have for sale. It would allow them to diplay a large number of Flags in a relatively small amount of space while allowing the customers to see everything available AND get to inspect them in a "hands-on" way. ;)

Good Luck !!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

PS. I don't know if our "Metropolitan" area is big enough to support a "stand-alone "Flag Shop". Hmmmm..... Maybe a small one about the size that would fit in my garage..... :cool: