Displaying an American Flag Ribbon

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Honeybee123, May 16, 2012.

1. Honeybee123

Honeybee123 New Member

How should you display an american flag ribbon. I'm a picture framer and I want to put a tri color ribbon on four corners of my mat at an angle. Does the blue field go on the top or does the red color go on the top?

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

Not sure if there is any official "code" for this sort of thing but my humble opinion is we always say: red, white and blue. So the red would be on top.
    cheers,
    mike

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Since the "blue" in the ribbon would represent the blue in the Flag's "Union", and the "Union" takes precedence, wouldn't the blue go "on top", just like in/on all of the patriotic bunting madfe in the U.S.A. ??? :confused:

Just Wondering . . . . .

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

I have always followed the rules of heraldry in this matter, and blue takes precedence over red. But vexillology also says that the Canton is a more honorable position than the field, so again the blue should be on top. Nick A

5. csaanv

csaanv Member

Like I said there is no "rules" for this but using decorative bunting and fans as an example, Annin displays those as red, white and blue.
    Screen shot 2012-05-18 at 8.26.09 AM.jpg

6. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Click on this thumbnail for another example of the use of the American colors:

GreatSeal.jpg

7. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Believe it or not, this is actually covered in the flag code (para 8d):

"Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general."

Peter Ansoff