displaying the American Flag

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Union Jack, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

During the recent World athletics games in London I noticed that during the medal ceremony the flags of the recipient nations were displayed differently to other games I have watched. As opposed to the traditional hoisting of the medal recipients flag on a flagpole or by being raised by two wires the flags were displayed by three British forces personnel. During the national anthems the flags would be tilted slightly by the military personnel to reveal the full flag. The only flag that wasn't tilted was the American flag which stayed upright.

I know why the American flag should never be bowed or touch the floor but I have seen both, in person and on tv, the American flag being displayed at a lowered angle from hotels to domestic homes. Should the American flag only be displayed in a upright position?

UJ

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

During the national anthems the flags would be tilted slightly by the military personnel to reveal the full flag.

They were "dipping" the flags, which is a long-established norm for saluting. According to US custom, however, the US flag is never dipped on land. There is an interesting back story on this in the context of the Olympic Games; see this thread: http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/threads/history-of-dipping-the-us-flag.9565/#post-30622

3. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

Thanks Peter for the reply and the link. I can fully understand why a nation shouldn't dip their flag. I've done enough saluting in my time both to military and Royal personnel. Some I respected but some I would have preferred to give a different, earthier, salute. But as they say 'if it moves salute it and if it stands still paint it white'.

UJ

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I would assume that the U.K. "Flag Code" (also assuming that they have one) would be different from the U.S. "Flag Code", and that the "dipping/No Dipping" rule would also be different.

Oh, well...

Robin