Disposal of American Flag Ashes

Discussion in 'American Flag Disposal' started by jdmullett, Mar 29, 2008.

1. jdmullett

jdmullett New Member

My son held a American Retirement Ceromony for his Boy Scout Eagle Project. We have the ashes left to dispose of. I have herd that there is a cermony that you can dispose of the ashes with the burial of any U.S. vetern. Is this true, and if so, were to find out how to do this cermony correctly.

2. Rockdude_UK

Rockdude_UK Member

For crying out loud. Its not a person. Look i know this isnt constructive toward the forum but for Gods sake its ashes of a flag!

3. -----

hia JDM - i've never heard of the flag ashes being buried with a veteran - they could be buried with anybody who desired to have them

they can also be buried on their own

ive aso never heard of such a ceremony - the fact of the matter is - you would do as u felt it appropriate
    as you may have held a ceremony whilst retiring the flag i would have thought there wouldent be a necessity for a 2nd one for the burial of the ashes

4. Starieberry

Starieberry New Member

rockdude_uk, Yeah, it's ashes of a flag...The American Flag, and it deserves respect.
    What you said is very offensive, so you know what? Keep negative opinions to yourself.
    If you don't respect the Flag, then don't...But do it privately.

5. dewlady

dewlady New Member

I do not know the proper disposal of flag ashes but would like to know. Also I would like to know if once a flag is dismantled should the pieces still be burned?

Thanks

6. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, Dewlady -- welcome!

I do not know the proper disposal of flag ashes but would like to know.

There are no special rules about flag ashes. You can dispose of them the same way you dispose of other ashes. (Safely, of course -- don't put them in a paper bag if they're still hot!)

Also I would like to know if once a flag is dismantled should the pieces still be burned?

The flag code just says that the flag should be disposed of in a dignified way, preferrably by burning. The point is just that you shouldn't use the flag's remains as a rag, or throw them in the dumpster. Some groups have come up with ceremonies that involve ritually cutting the flag into pieces before disposing of it, but there's no requirement to do that.

Peter Ansoff

7. porky

porky New Member

I would say go to the loco V.A. and tell them what you would like to have done with the ashes of the flag and they should help you with that

8. porky

porky New Member

you can dispose of the ashes as you see fit but I have heard of them being laid to rest with the fallen iv also herd of people having the ashes turned in to a diamond