Dodgy Flags

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by Union Jack, May 3, 2017.

1. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

I'm in a bit of a quandary when I now look upon the CSA flags I have in my possession. I like these flags but am I contravening politics to actually hoisting them now and then.... namely anniversaries of Cival War battles? I do hoist the Stars and Stripes in tandem. I see a lot of news from America discrediting the southern observation of their involvement in the Cival War. I don't want to relegate the CSA flag to my box of flag weasels that are forever hidden and only kept because they are flags.

UJ

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Greetings, Union Jack!

In the past, at our "old" house on Donovan Drive (where I had a lot of room to display Flags on "special" occasions), I'd post my small collection of Confederate Flags, along with pertinent U.S. Flags in the middle of the month of April. Most recently, in 2011 it was the 150th Anniversary of the START of the American Civil War, and in 2015, it was the 150th Anniversary of the END of the American Civil War. I don't think I posted any pictures of either of those Flag Displays here. I'm pretty sure I posted them on my Facebook page. They're on our old 2003 Dell Dimension 8300 (Windows XP) desktop that is unplugged and in a box stored somewhere out of sight!

I haven't ever done a USA/CSA flags display for any of the Civil War battles.

Robin

3. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

Thanks for the reply Robin but what I was really asking is it ok to display my CSA flags without contravening or offending US guidelines. I live in France but I wouldn't want to fly a flag that is in dispute with US guidelines. I can understand certain peoples objections to the flag and to that extent I can understand their grievances but unless it is deemed to be outlawed I would still like to hoist it on historic anniversaries.
    UJ

4. Robin Hickman

I think I've been able to find the "proper" link to my FB page with the 2015 USA/CSA Flags Display. I'll post it here, and just in case that doesn't work out so well, I'll see if I can post links to the four pictures I used.

https://www.facebook.com/RobinHickman/posts/10206335693412112

TEXT :
    TODAY, Thursday, April 9th, 2015, marks the 150th Anniversary (Sesquicentennial) of Confederate General Robert E. Lee's surrender to U.S. General Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House, Virginia, on April 9th, 1865.

To commemorate the occasion I have hung the 33-Star "Fort Sumter" U.S. Flag (far left), the 1st National Flag of the Confederate States of America (inside left), the "Confederate" Flag (inside right), and the 3rd National Flag of the Confederate States of America (far right).

Respectfully Remembering.....
    Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206335674251633&set=pcb.10206335693412112&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206335674851648&set=pcb.10206335693412112&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206335675131655&set=pcb.10206335693412112&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206335675691669&set=pcb.10206335693412112&type=3&theater

DESCRIPTION : Four 3'x5' "American Civil War" Flags. Left-to-Right : 33-Star "Fort Sumter" U.S. Flag, the 1st National Flag of the Confederate States of America (AKA : "Stars & Bars"), "Confederate" Flag, and the 3rd National Flag of the Confederate States of America.

A couple of days later, I posted either a set of photos or a Video of my Flags Display for the 150th Anniversary of the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln. I don't remember which.

Robin Hickman

5. Robin Hickman

With all due respect to the USA "Flag Code", I don't think its guidelines are applicable in France. Well, other than at possibly the U.S. Embassy and Consulates, and perhaps World War 1 & 2 American Cemeteries located in France.

When people have asked me in person (or here in the Forums) about flying their "home" Flags, I usually just share with them my opinion that it's their home, their flagpole(s), and their Flag(s), so they should be able to fly them any way they want to. I also add a caveat to bear in mind what their neighbors' opinions (silent, or otherwise) might be about their Flags.

But, Hey! That's just ME!!!

Robin

6. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

Cheers mate for the relevant info. Being in France I can hoist my CSA flags without (I think) anybody knocking on my door to object but I am old school and still conform to the standards that each nation wishes to display their flags.
    UJ

7. Robin Hickman

Yes, you sure can!

You already know how sensitive people can be about some Flags. So remember the caveat that you never know what your neighbors' opinions (silent, or otherwise) might be about your Flags until they actually go out of their way to tell you. And just as important, I guess, is to not take it too personally no matter how good or bad, happy or sad, or in the case of any "door knockers", how "over-enthusiastic" or "totally outraged" they are.

Good Luck!

Robin