eBay : 33-Star Flag (Springfield, Oregon)

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Robin Hickman, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Up for auction on eBay is an "antique" 33-Star American Flag which happens to be located in Springfield, Oregon (a few miles away from me on the other side of Interstate 5). There are 12 pictures of the Flag on the auction page, and a bunch more on the seller's website. I know where the store is located because my wife and I have actually shopped in Maycie's Place.

This auction ends April 28th, 2011 at 17:23:56 PDT.

As of 7:29 AM (07:29:00) PDT, Thursday, April 21st, 2011, 8 different bidders have submitted 15 bids and the current high bid is $465.06 !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Historical-Flag-33-Stars-Civil-War-Era-Oregon-/320687738354?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaa7a8df2

DESCRIPTION :

Rare Oregon State historical find, this unique hand sewn 33 star flag was found in Salem Oregon. It is an original 33-Star Flag: Each star is hand cut and hand sewn on in a non traditional pattern, there are only 11 stripes, the fabric is not all solid fabric rather some of the stripes are two pieces of fabric sewn together. This Flag became the Official United States Flag on July 4th, 1859. A star was added for the admission of Oregon (February 14, 1859) and was to last for 2 years. The two Presidents to serve under this flag were James Buchanan (1857-1861) and Abraham Lincoln (1861-1865). The flag has been hand signed Watson, I dont know why or what this is but it is there. Also there is "Oregon 33 1859" Wrote on the flag. There appears to be blood stains on it and it has a couple of holes and some tattered area towards the bottom as shown in the pictures. The flag measures about 48" X 68". It is in remarkable shape considering age. It has been stored for many years in a flag display case that it will come with. ​

This flag is a true piece of American and Oregon History and I believe it should be in a place where all can enjoy. As such I will start the bidding at $0.99 with NO RESERVE so that everyone has an opportunity to own this rare and amazeing American 33 Star Flag! ​

Please contact me for more information and if you are truly serious buyer please feel free to ask for more pictures by sending me you email address as I have about 30+ pictures of this flag. I will ship to USA ONLY. ​

SELECTED PHOTOS :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are a TOTAL of 12 photos on the Flags auction page.

Additional photos can be found on the following website (click on the 33-Star Flag link on the right) :

http://www.mayciesplace.com/

http://www.mayciesplace.com/33_star_flag

Imagine that! "Real" history less than 5 miles away!!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

2. Robin Hickman

3. Two Fish

Two Fish New Member

I saw this flag and had brief urges to bid but passed because of the 11 stripes. Was that just a seamstress mistake or are there legitimate reasons for a flag to have only 11 stripes?

4. Robin Hickman

Hi, Two Fish !

I don't know why that particular Flag has only 11 Stripes. Nor do I know if it was made that way, but I'm guessing that it WAS made that way AND that the Flag was "Home-Made".

The reason why I say that is because there are usually (supposed to be) SEVEN "short" Stripes next to the Blue, Star-filled, Canton ("Union"): alternating four red and three white, but this Flag has only SIX Stripes. There are supposed to be SIX "long" Stripes, alternating white and red, under the Canton, and the first "long" Stripe should be white, but in this case it's red, and there are only FIVE "long" Stripes.

So instead of the usual 7 "short" + 6 "long" Stripes, equalling 13 Stripes, THIS Flag has ony 6 "short" and 5 "long" ones, equalling 11 Stripes!

Oh, Well.....

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA