Enforcement of flag ett

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by CPHIL, Jun 3, 2009.

1. CPHIL

CPHIL New Member

I have a question that has come up. Is there a penal code for violating flag ettequite, or is it just 'ettequite' and voluntary? I am refering primarily to civilians displaying the flag publicly, but on private land. Also the displaying of foreign flags alone. Also public desecration. Are these codes enforcible? If so please give references. As I see it, a law is not enforcable without a penal code. At this point, I can't even determing if it is a law. Please advise. Thanks, Chris

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, CPHIL !

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !

Could you share with us the nature of the "problem"? Since you didn't say what the "problem" is/was, we have no idea as to how to advise you.

Thank You !

Robin Hickman

3. CPHIL

CPHIL New Member

I have a question that has come up. Is there a penal code for violating flag ettequite, or is it just 'ettequite' and voluntary? I am refering primarily to civilians displaying the flag publicly, but on private land. Also the displaying of foreign flags alone. Also public desecration. Are these codes enforcible? If so please give references. As I see it, a law is not enforcable without a penal code. At this point, I can't even determing if it is a law. Please advise. Thanks, Chris ***********
    **** Just a reply to above questions. Another words, does law allow for enforcement of any violations of flag ettequite whatsoever or is all flag ettiquite strictly voluntarily where civilians are involved. Chris

4. Robin Hickman

Hello, Chris !

When dealing with questions of behavior as they relate to that portion of the United States Code which addresses the United States Flag (ie. The Flag Code), "The Code", itself, does NOT contain any criminal (or penal) "penalties" for violating any of it's provisions.

Robin Hickman

5. Robin Hickman

Hi, Chris !

Thanx for the e-mail !

While it's true that the "Flag Code" does NOT contain any criminal or civilian penalties for percieved violations of its guidelines, it is also true that none of us are "mind readers".

If any of us see a supposed "violation" of the "Flag Code" by someone else, we don't know "why" they did it. More importantly, we don't even know IF they did it "on purpose", or IF they are even aware that they have done something "improper".

For example: maybe there's a "patriot" in our neighborhood that is flying an American Flag on his front porch 24/7, but neglects to shine a "dedicated" light on it when it's dark over night. Is he doing it by "accident", or "on purpose"? Does he even know that it is improper to fly the Flag at night without having a light shine on it?

I'm NOT a mind-reader, are you?

Or, maybe: The guy down the street is flying his American Flag upside-down today!!! Is he in some kind of dire distress or danger? Is he trying to make some kind of political point or protest something without telling anyone what "IT" is? Or maybe he was in a great big hurry this morning and he accidently hooked the Flag to the flagpole's halyard upside-down without noticing it?

I'm NOT a mind-reader, are you?

People fly their Flags, whatever flags they may be, however and whenever they will. Some of them "know" what they're doing, and some don't. Some of them have a particular reason for flying their Flags a "certain" way on certain days, but most don't. They just run that puppy up the old flagpole because they're feeling "patriotic".

I don't know "why" people do what they do. Heck, sometimes I don't even know WHY I do something! I do know, however, that I am NOT a mind-reader.

I don't know. I guess that's just the "way I roll" !

Robin Hickman

6. Robin Hickman

Re: Enforcement of flag etiquette

Hey, Chris !

Another one of our new members, Trudy Pierce, had a very similar question to yours, AND she went out and found the "answer" TOO !!

You can read about it in THIS thread :

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/displaying-foreign-country-flag-5903.html

I don't know how it all ended up as she hasn't come back yet to tell us.

Robin Hickman

7. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Provisions of the United States Flag Code only have the force of law when they are adopted as laws by the various states or D.C. But as we have seen even state laws prohibiting desecration of the flag are routinely overturned by the courts as unconstitutional.
    Nick

8. bekah

bekah New Member

I just got done reading an article about flag ett. and I really wish that people would read more before just throwing the flag outside. Our goal should be to display the flag to inspire pride for the great country of ours with respect and honor.

9. bekah

bekah New Member

I just got done reading an article about flag ett. and I really wish that people would read more before just throwing the flag outside. Our goal should be to display the flag to inspire pride for the great country of ours with respect and honor. There is Federal Law stipulations for flag ett. ie. Flag Code. Please start teaching our young ones the responsibility of the flag. And the Dignity of being a United States Citizen.