Equipment on flag pole--thoughts?

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by Breeden John, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Breeden John

Breeden John New Member

Hello. I'm new to the forums so I am not sure where this post goes. I also posted this thread in the "Flag Poles" forum, so, moderators, please delete as you see fit.

I would like to get the forum's thoughts on an idea that I have been considering...

Has anyone ever seen a flagpole with a small windmill/turbine where the truck would normally be? Would you consider such a display to be disrespectful in any way?

I work for a rural power company. We have an existing 40 foot flagpole (which I tend to) at our office building. My idea is to replace this flagpole with one that has a small wind turbine atop the flagpole where the truck would be (rotors/blades perpendicular to the pole...like a flat umbrella), solar cells mounted somewhere below the flags (already common), and then have battery storage for the power generated outside of our office building. I would use the power generated using the new set-up for flagpole lighting and maybe some other outdoor lighting nearby. All aspects of the design would be first-class so that the equipment does not detract from the display of the flag and so it wouldn't interfere with the flags in any way.

So, what are your thoughts on this? If it wasn't tacky looking, would you consider the mounted equipment to be disrespectful or inappropriate? We are a very patriotic organization and would not go through with this if it might be offensive in any way. In researching this idea, I could only find conceptual designs for the windmill flagpole done by a couple of engineering firms, but nothing constructed yet. None of this is against the U.S. Flag Code and related laws.

Thanks for your advice!

2. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

John,
    Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you know there are several ways the American flag is flown on multipurpose structures, such as on a ship's sailing mast, a cellular tower, the top of a construction crane, broadcasting antennae, extended fire engine ladders, etc. If it's done in a manner that is respectful to the display of the Stars & Stripes, you shouldn't expect any concerns. It might just come down to the eye of the beholder. Your proposal, however, is not a common sight for the general population. I don't know whether or not the sight would be well received. If the principal reason you want a small turbine is to generate electricity to illuminate the flag at night, have you considered just sticking to the solar powered light and battery storage system? Since you work for a power company, you surely have a leg up on the latest technology of both systems. I'm sure you will come up with an appropriate solution. Thanks for asking for this forum's thoughts. Perhaps other forum members will comment as well.

Bill Jameson
    Vet & Flag Advocate

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member