Etiquette for flying flag with windsock?

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by aircover, Feb 17, 2011.

1. aircover

aircover New Member

We belong to a model airplane club. We have a windsock at the flying field on a 20 ft poll. Want to know if it would be considered a violation of flag etiquette to fly the US flag below the windsock? From my research I think it is wrong to do. The windsock could be considered similar to a "club's flag"?

2. SSGCARP

SSGCARP New Member

This is a great question. One that has no right or wrong answer as it falls to the view(s) of the person(s) hoisting the flag. Below I have copied and pasted an excerpt from the flag code. In it the only allowance for a flag to flown above the U.S. flag is church pennant and even that has very strict criteria. So the question really becomes is the wind sock considered a flag. If yes then it should not be above the U.S. flag. If not then it could go above. The next question would be, does your club want to inadvertently offend someone by having the windsock above the flag in the position of honor. Best to error on the side of caution.

My personal belief is that nothing should be hoisted higher than the flag especially on the same pole. With the exception that is granted in the Flag Code.

§7. Position and manner of display paragraph C.
    No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy.

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

I agree with SSGCARP's answer, but my question is "If you have a flag flying, why do you need the windsock?"

Nick A

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, AirCover! Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums ! :D

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.................... :eek:

I was going to use the "If you're flying a Flag why do you need a windsock too?" reply !!! :(

Oh, well..... I snoozed, I loozed, I guess! :D

I agree with SSGCARP & NICK.... you can fly one OR the other, but NOT BOTH !

HAPPY LANDINGS !!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA