Fiberglass vs. Aluminum pole?

Discussion in 'Flag Poles' started by CenterTree, Mar 3, 2013.

1. CenterTree

CenterTree New Member

:confused: I imagine this has been asked B4, but, I would like to get some opinions (or better yet, facts) on which pole is better for home use.

I want to get a 25' pole for the yard. 5" butt, 3" top. The placement will be near to a bedroom window (about 10' from house). Is fiberglass noticeably quieter than aluminum? (as far as noise from the clasps and rope smacking the pole).

I am aware of the internal halyard systems, but I have listened to the noise of these (at a school) from the counter-weight and beaded strap riding the pole.

As far as external halyards, I think I prefer aluminum, yet the fiberglass seems to have a few advantages too.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    :)

2. YCHistorian

YCHistorian New Member

Hi there,

If it were me, I would go with a fiberglass pole. Much quieter. Most fiberglass pole manufacturers ship their
    poles with nylon flag snaps attached to the halyard. Even with the nylon flag snap tapping against the fiberglass pole,
    it will be so much quieter than a bras snap banging against an aluminum pole. Ask anyone who has a sailboat. They
    can tell you how annoying it is to hear rigging slapping against the mast.

-YC