Fifty two year old fifty star flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Ric Tester, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Ric Tester

Ric Tester New Member

Good day forum members. I have acquired a fairly old 50 star flag - sewn. The most interesting thing was the accompanying articles and notes. The packet had never been opened since new.

Attached Files:

FlagAdvocate likes this.
  2. Dexter Cole

Dexter Cole Member

I've never heard of "Loyalty Day" , very cool set you have. I agree with the sentiments of the note and wonder if it was in response to the anti Vietnam protests at the time (1966).

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Actually, Loyalty Day dates back to the 1920s, and was originally a reaction to the supposed threat of Communism. It was deliberately set on May Day, which was (and still is) a celebration of labor and workers' rights in much of the world. It's a recognized observance per the US Code.

4. Ric Tester

Ric Tester New Member

There is more - Since you have expressed interest, I will post it soon.

5. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Peter Ansoff is correct: "It's a recognized observance per the US Code". The following is a link to the appropriate section of the US Code: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/115

However, I don't recall in recent memory the President issuing a Proclamation to observe Loyalty Day.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  6. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

7. FoxValleyMike

FoxValleyMike Member

So Loyalty day is basically our version of May Day in Europe? Man I need more flag pole brackets :)

8. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

So Loyalty day is basically our version of May Day in Europe?

Well, not exactly. May Day was "International Workers Day", an expression of solidarity among workers around the world. This was viewed seditious and unpatriotic in the US, and Loyalty Day was a reaction to that. Loyalty Day was first observed in the 1920s, but wasn't made an official annual observance until 1958, during the "red scare."

9. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

…..
    Hi, Mike!
    I think we had a discussion about brackets and such back in May and/or June (July?).

Robin
    …..

10. FoxValleyMike

FoxValleyMike Member

LOL yeah we did. I still havent taken the bush out though. Thats on the honey do list for the Spring now.