First Minnesota reverse details

Discussion in 'US Flag Specs and Design' started by David Meyer, Mar 25, 2014.

1. David Meyer

David Meyer New Member

Hello:

In trying to reproduce a First Minnesota Regimental flag, the reverse of the original is mostly missing. The eagle, shield, stars, etc. appear to be unique to this flag. Does anyone have a source regarding what this flag is supposed to look like?

Thanks,

David

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, David!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE forums!

I "Googled" the phrase, First Minnesota Regimental Flag, and got the following results for PHOTOS:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fir...v&sa=X&ei=WXo0U9nXGY7zoASom4DgBQ&ved=0CDQQsAQ

You might also try : http://www.1stminnesota.net/

I hope that helps!

Thank you for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forum! Let us know if there's anything else we can do!

Robin Hickman
    ("Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man")
    Eugene, Oegon, USA.

3. David Meyer

David Meyer New Member

Hi Robin:

Thank you for getting back on this. I have been to Minneapolis and observed what's left of the First Minnesota flag. It has been sewn to backing and the reverse will never be seen again. The only picture that can be found is too large to be attached. Brian Pease, the state historian who showed me the flags, could not help with what the reverse looked like originally. As it was a handmade flag, the eagle, stars, etc. are unique. The details of the shield and the pattern of the stars are the most obscure.

Being in the area, the flag for the First Minnesota Reenactors was also examined at the Landing, where Jefferson Spilman was kind enough to show me their beautiful flag. The reverse of that flag is the same as the front. Pictures of it can also be put up.

Thus it would be best to find an older view of the reverse of the flag - before it deteriorated.

Thank you again for getting back on this long enduring project.

We will remember them,

David Meyer