First timer: I have had this flag for 25 years and would love to have information.

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by AMacLean, Apr 12, 2013.

1. AMacLean

AMacLean New Member

This flag has stenciling which reads: US ENSIGN NO 7, Mare Island, Feb 1941. Wool, stitched Stars and Stripes, no rips or tears, the white areas have aged coloring. There are no grommets, instead the original brass ring and clip remain in place. I would appreciate any information and approximate value. The flag and I have the same birth year...am a little sentimental.

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, AMacLean! Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

While the most important information about the origins of your Flag is listed/stenciled on its "hoist", or "header", to be able to give you a better idea as to what your Flag is and what it might be worth it would be a BIG help if you could post some clear, in focus pictures of your Flag. Pictures will go a LONG way towards ascertaining what kind of "condition" your Flag is in. In Flags, as in almost all other older ("antique") collectible items "condition" is EVERYTHING.

I know this doesn't answer your questions about your Flag, but if you can supply us with a few pics of your Flag, it will REALLY help in the long run!

FORUM MODERATOR : I think this thread should be placed in the "Flag Identification And Collecting" Forum.

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Robin is correct that your flag's heading tells the story, and gives you much more info than is found on most flags. It was manufactured at the Mare Island Naval Shipyard off San Francisco Bay in February of 1941. U S Ensign is the National Flag of the US flown from ships. Unlike many countries, the US National Ensign ("American Flag") also serves as the civil government and commercial / merchant flag. The "No 7" is the size designator, and a No 7 Ensign measures 5 feet 1 3/4 inches along the hoist and 9 feet 9 inches long.

Nick Artimovich
    Columbia Maryland

4. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi AMacLean,
    Like Robin said if you could upload some photos that would help detremine it's value. The information stamped on the header means that it is a naval flag, size 7 which is 5.14' x 9.77' and it was made at Mare Island Naval Shipyard near San Francisco. In 1941, before the War when the your flag was made, the Navy made their own flags. During the War the demand for flags became so great that they eventually had to out-source to keep up the supply. Today, flags used by the US armed forces are contracted and out-sourced to private businesses.

5. AMacLean

AMacLean New Member

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  6. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi AMacLean,
    There seems to be a problem with this link. Could you email me the photo and I can post it on the forum. My email is emmalpass(at)yahoo(dot)com
    Thanks!

7. csaanv

csaanv Member

Here is AMacLean's very nice 48 star naval ensign. Thanks for sharing!

Photo Apr 13, 10 56 29 AM.jpg

8. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

FORUM MODERATOR : I think this thread should be placed in the "Flag Identification And Collecting" Forum.

I agree -- done!

Peter A.