FLAG: An American Boigraphy by Marc Leepson

Discussion in 'Flag Books and Media' started by PRGringo, Sep 10, 2008.

1. PRGringo

PRGringo Member

FLAG: An American Biography by Marc Leepson
    Thomas Dunne Books, St.Martin’s Press, New York, 2005
    334 pages

Let me begin by saying that I am not a professional book critic and have never written a book myself.

I purchased this book without any prior knowledge or recommendation. I was impressed by the dust jacket (a flag) and was not really certain what I was going to be reading. Would it be just dates and pictures with a little descriptive text? An uninformative rehashing of things I already knew. Or, would it educate my and enhance my knowledge about the American flag and its history?

I am glad to say that it increased my knowledge about the flag and its history.

I enjoyed the book, especially chapters 5 & 6, which deal with the war of 1812 and the period leading up to the Civil War. A time in American history that I will admit some weakness.

The book improved my knowledge of some of the “backgroundâ€￾ events during that time and helped me understand the attitude of Americans toward the flag during this period.

I was a little apprehensive about how the latter part of the 20th century would be presented. This was my time in history as well and I wanted to see how the author would present the tumultuous era during the Vietnam War. I felt the presentation was balanced, to my relief.

In all I think the book was a good read. I learned something, which is what I hope I will do with any non-fiction book that I read.

I would give it a 4 out of 5. (I would have given it a 5 had it included more reference information such as flag etiquette. It would be nice to have everything I wanted to know in one place.)

2. 25thStar

25thStar New Member

I got a 1st edition copy of Mr. Leepson's book as well and after reading it, I sent it to him for an autograph, which he did.

3. fast1

fast1 Member

thanks for the review, i might get it[​IMG]

4. 25thStar

25thStar New Member

A couple more patriotic tomes I have in my small, author-signed collection are:
    STARS & STRIPES FOREVER: The History, Stories, and Memories of Our American Flag, by Richard H. Schneider and
    SONGS SUNG RED, WHITE and BLUE: The Stories Behind America's Best-Loved Patriotic Songs, by Ace Collins.

Just finished reading THE GHOSTS OF IWO JIMA, by Robert S. Burrell, which not only tells about the historic flag raising atop Mt. Suribachi, but the in-fighting between the Army and Navy "brass" before the island was assaulted, and how the reasons stated before taking the island changed afterwards. The best book, in my opinion, about the battle on Iwo Jima (now officially called Iwo To by the Japanese) that I've read because Burrell tells the facts about everything and everyone (military brass) involved and why and what it led to.

5. 25thStar

25thStar New Member

One other flag book I have is by Michael Corcoran and its title is: FOR WHICH IT STANDS, An Anecdotal Biography of the American Flag.

Its a small book and its dust jacket features the famous Star Spangled Banner. Photo's and lots of good information are inside.