Flag decal/sticker on busses

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by peter vrinceanu, Jul 26, 2007.

1. peter vrinceanu

peter vrinceanu New Member

What is the correct way to display the flag decal on a bus? How about dimenssions/proportions? If you can help me correctly display the American Flag decals on a few hundred busses in the great Seattle area lots of people, including myself, will be very, very thankfull...:D

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, Peter, welcome to the forum!

What is the correct way to display the flag decal on a bus?

Although it's not covered in the flag code, the general custom is that a flag on a vehicle is displayed horizontally with the union toward the front of the vehicle. Note that it will be "backwards" on one side, so you'll need two different decals if you want the flag on both sides. The idea is that the flag should look like it's flying in the wind as the vehicle moves forward. The same principle applies to flags on painted on airplanes, flag shoulder patches on uniforms, etc.

How about dimenssions/proportions

The official proportions of the flag are 10:19. However, most flags that are sold commerically are 3:5 or 2:3, so anything with roughly those proportions will look fine. As far as dimensions are concerned, there is really no rule -- whatever looks good.

If you can help me correctly display the American Flag decals on a few hundred busses in the great Seattle area

Let us know how your project turns out, and post some pictures here in the forum! BTW, have you ever seen the flag of the City of Seattle? It is a very original design, but sort of weird.

Best,

Peter Ansoff

3. peter vrinceanu

Few inches above the American Flag decal there is an Local 587 decal, which has both American and Canadian flags into their logo. So, technically speeking, the Canadian flag is above the American one. What do you thing about this scenario? Thank you so much for your time.

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, Peter,

Few inches above the American Flag decal there is an Local 587 decal, which has both American and Canadian flags into their logo. So, technically speeking, the Canadian flag is above the American one. What do you thing about this scenario?

Even though the two decals are close together, it doesn't sound to me as if most people would interpret them as being part of the same display. I really can't see much of an issue there.

Best regards,

Peter Ansoff

5. peter vrinceanu

Thank you so much for your time. Have a great day. Peter