Flag Desecration Cases

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by APS221, Jan 16, 2013.

1. APS221

APS221 Member

I don't know if you've read about this, but it seems flag desecration cases are in the courts again despite the Supreme Court's rulings in Texas v. Johnson (1989) and United States v. Eichman (1990). I've been following the case, and it seemed pretty straightforward. The judge ruled Missouri's flag desecration statute is unconstitutional. However, Missouri's Attorney General is challenging the ruling. You can read more about in online here: seMissourian.com: Local News: Mo. A.G. Koster challenges court ruling on flag desecration (01/14/13)

I also came across another flag desecration case in Earth, Texas. It seems the reporter hasn't followed up on the case, so I don't know what happened to the guy who was cited by the officer. Stars & Stripes: Marine claims flag desecration : News : ConnectAmarillo.com

Plus, there's the recent story about a teacher in Chapin, South Carolina who stomped on a flag durin a lesson. http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...99b28e-5e83-11e2-8acb-ab5cb77e95c8_story.html

2. APS221

APS221 Member

3. APS221

APS221 Member

Here is an update, and some new flag desecration cases.
    The case in my previous post was dropped. Here is an editorial from the York Daily Record calling for the repeal of Pennsylvania's flag desecration statute.
    Our take: Lawmakers should repeal Pa. flag desecration law - The York Daily Record

In Missouri, a case went to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit. It resulted in a permanent injunction on enforcement of Missouri's flag desecration statute.
    Appeals Court Overturns Missouri Flag Burning Law « CBS St. Louis

Here is a report on another case in Pennsylvania. This time in Blair County, PA.
    Man facing charges for hanging American flag upside down,... | www.wpxi.com
    Here is an update on the case after the preliminary hearing.
    Flag Desecration or Freedom of Speech - WeAreCentralPA.com - your one stop community web portal for all your Central Pennsylvania News, Sports and Weather, powered by WTAJ Your News Leader

Here is an article about another case in Pennsylvania. This time, it is in Butler County.
    Cranberry Eagle redesign

4. WV Yankee

WV Yankee New Member

Is it okay to put an organization's logo on the American Flag? Everyone in upper management wants to show their patriotism plus pride in our organization. So the suggestion is being floated about making U.S. Flag lapel pins but putting our logo on them, perhaps over the stripes. But is this desecration of the flag, illegal, or just frowned upon?

5. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

WV Yankee...The United States Flag Code, under Section 8 Respect For Flag, states:"The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature."

Also, "The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever."

It can be argued that a lapel pin isn't really the American flag, but the idea is that the Stars & Stripes should be respected. It all depends on the individual to extend that respect to a U.S. Flag lapel pin or not. Putting your logo over the stripes wouldn't be desecration or illegal, but may be considered in poor taste.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  6. WV Yankee

WV Yankee New Member

First I must apologies for my subterfuge. But I've learned just how hypocritical this country's citizens can be and I wanted an honest, unbiased response. Based upon your reply, the Trump administration may be considered to be acting in poor taste by wearing lapel pins of our flag with the GOP's elephant plastered on the stripes. I am offended by their disrespect for our Flag which stands for all of us. Sad.

7. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

A few years back, I actually received a fundraising letter from the USO, containing a US flag pin with the letters "USO" across the stripes. I guess some folks just don't think about that sort of thing.

8. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

During the past two election "seasons", as near as I could tell, a great many Republican candidates (and many partisan cable news "personalities") wore American Flag lapel pins with the GOP elephant icon imbedded in the stripes. I don't recall ever seeing any other group, company, corporation, or political party doing anything similar. I'm not claiming that they haven't, just that I haven't see it.

I just Googled : GOP Flag Pin. Then I switched over to "Images". Yes, there are some other instances of "icons" or "devices" being over-laid or affixed on American Flag pins, including the Department of Justice and the Secret Service (which you can buy on eBay!). Pin Mart makes and sells both "American Flag Republican Flag" and "American Flag Democrat Flag" pins. Their pins use a gold-colored overlay and not the darker ones that I've seen. I'm sure there are others, but I haven't searched for them.

http://www.pinmart.com/american-flag-republican-pin/?gclid=CL2B6deU8tECFYGAfgodb_wNkw

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=%22Secret+Service%22+%22American+Flag%22++pins&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X%22Secret+Service%22+%22American+Flag%22.TRS0&_nkw=%22Secret+Service%22+%22American+Flag%22&_sacat=0

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.