Flag Desecration - Hate Crime?

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by John Arnzen, Feb 25, 2017.

1. John Arnzen

John Arnzen New Member

I have to seriously question the integrity of so-called "patriotic Americans" who won't even acknowledge my formal petition to the White House let alone sign it. I have sent that petition out to very prominent Twitter and Facebook "celebrities and pundits" with a collective following of over 10 million people and as best I can tell, NOT ONE has signed it or commented on it or in any way supported it except average citizens like us ...... and that includes by the way Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly and the rest of the entire FOX News team. Not even Veterans' organizations are responding ...... I just don't get it. Most of my Twitter followers have been great and have spread that petition around to all of their followers and re-tweeted it multiple times ..... I must be missing something. It's all very disheartening ...... You would think that especially since the President made it a point to tell the world he was going to protect our flag during his CPAC speech that more people would have at least read the petition. Well I'm not giving up ..... I have until March 22nd to get 100,000 signatures ...... an uphill battle all the way!!! Thanks to all who have supported me thus far .... it means a lot.

You can view the petition here:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...rning-or-destruction-american-flag-hate-crime

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, John Arnzen!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

Here is John Arnzen's Petition of February 20th, 2017 as it appears on The White House's (We The People) "Petitions" Page (Copy/Pasted verbatim) :

CRIMINALIZE THE BURNING OR DESTRUCTION OF THE AMERICAN FLAG AS A HATE CRIME
    Created by J.A. on February 20, 2017

"The unpatriotic and disgraceful act of burning or otherwise destroying the American Flag shows HATRED for our country and, therefore, it should be criminalized as a HATE CRIME. We believe the prior SCOTUS rulings that resulted in such acts being protected as symbolic or free speech under the First Amendment are unconscionable. Furthermore, these hateful and disrespectful acts can easily insight violence, represent a detrimental insult to the men and women who have fought and died to protect the freedoms represented by our flag and defy the very core values that this country was founded on."

Each petition on the WH's Petition page needs to acquire 100,000 "signatures" within 30 days to qualify for being reviewed by the White House. As of about 4:00 PM, Sunday, February 26th, 2017, John's petition has received 79 signatures, averaging a little over 13 signatures a day (so far). John's petition needs 99,921 more signatures by March 22, 2017 to qualify for getting a response from the White House.

Thank You, John, for bringing your Flag-related subject to our Forums!

Hey, ADMIN (Peter Ansoff): I believe that John's posting (including this reply) deserves to start its own "thread", rather than being "shoe-horned" into this one. Not sure what the new thread's title should read. Perhaps the same as John's petition title except not be in all caps?

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

I agree, Robin -- Done!!