Flag Display Objection - Legal?

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by glmtoday123, Mar 24, 2010.

1. glmtoday123

glmtoday123 New Member

This is somewhat a different question but I am not finding a clear place to ask, hope you all don't mind. I live in an apartment complex and have a pation attached to my apartment. I recently displayed a USA Flag on my patio. Mind you I have other things displayed and even won the Christmas Deco contest. I recieved a letter this week telling me I am in violation because I have a flag displayed. I am over the top levided. My landloard told me it could be consider offensive and it was no different then if I displayed a flag with Saddam Hussien's face on it!! Someone talk to me out there I am about to blow my top!!!

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Right to fly an American Flag

I believe the landlord is in violation of the Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005:

The law is Public Law 109-243 passed by the 109th Congress which states:
    SEC. 3. RIGHT TO DISPLAY THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES. A condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy, or enter into any agreement, that would restrict or prevent a member of the association from displaying the flag of the United States on residential property within the association with respect to which such member has a separate ownership interest or a right to exclusive possession or use.​
    The law was approved on July 24, 2006.

So give the landlord a copy of the law and go fly your flag. Better yet, find a friend who is a lawyer who will send the landlord a copy of the law on their letterhead.

Nick

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  3. glmtoday123

glmtoday123 New Member

Thank you Nick for your response. It is bad enough my son is leaving in 20 days to fight in Afgan so we have the freedom we have and to have this hardship put on me at this time was just a bit more then i can deal with. But I WILL deal with it!!