flag display on motorcycles

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by lloydcole, Apr 13, 2014.

1. lloydcole

lloydcole New Member

I recently joined a motorcycle club which includes many fellow military vets who display the US flag on the rear of the bikes alone with a state flag or Army flag, etc. Half of them display the US flag on the right side the others believe that to the viewer looking at the rear of the bike the US flag should be on the left. I would like to set everyone straight. Can you provide correct answer?

2. APS221

APS221 Member

It is my understanding that the U.S. Flag would be on the motorcyclist's right.

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

The Flag Code states that "When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender." The Code does not address motorcycles, but I think it would be safe to say that the car reference would apply to them also. This is consistent with the general principle that the flag should be on its own right, or on the left of a viewer who is facing the display. In the case of a vehicle, it makes sense that "facing the display" would imply that you are looking at the front of the vehicle.