Flag Display (where space is limited)

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by patamerican, Aug 4, 2014.

1. patamerican

patamerican New Member

I don't see this under flag etiquette. Can a flag be displayed outdoors by hanging from a fence where a staff/pole is not available or allowed? I'm talking about a standard backyard wood plank fence where the flag would always be fully backed by the fence. It is not a fence where planks are spaced apart, it is a solid wood fence like you see in many backyards. If so, what is the correct way to attach it to the fence?

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, PatAmerica, and Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forum!

I would think that the "rules" for hanging a U.S. Flag on an outdoor fence would (should) be pretty much the same as hanging one on an indoor wall.

U.S. CODE; TITLE 4; CHAPTER 1 - THE FLAG (AKA " The Flag Code")

SECTION 7; Sub-section I : "When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left. When displayed in a window, the flag should be displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street."

The main difference between hanging a Flag on an indoor wall and an outdoor fence would pretty much be weather-related. The "Flag Code" also says that the U.S. Flag should always be allowed to fly free (as in not completely nailed down) and, in Section 8; Sub-section e : The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way."

Normally, when Flags are hung on an indoor wall, or on the inside of a window facing out, they are attached by the top two corners of the Flag and allowed to hang down free. On a backyard fence it would be the same except that there are other things to take into consideration: wind, rain, air pollution, animals, theft, vandalism, etc.

I'm not sure how many of your Flag's "corners" you'll be attaching to your back yard fence, or HOW you'll be attaching them. If your Flag is NOT going to be subject to potential theft or vandalism, then maybe it won't need to be heavily "secured". If your Flag is going to be somewhat "safe", then you'll want to be able to easily detach it from the fence for cleaning. While it's fairly easy to attach a Flag to a fence using its grommets (screw eyes), attaching the two "fly' corners without damaging the Flag is a little more difficult. The solution that I found that works for me and my Flags is to use "temporary" tie-downs that are normally used for tarps, tents, camping canvas, etc. The temp tie-downs are clamped onto the flag's fabric without putting holes in it, and then they are attached to the fence.

The bottom line is that it's your home, your fence, and your Flag, so however you choose to hang your Flag is up to you. All I, or anybody else, can ask is to treat your U.S. Flag with respect.

If you'd like to read through the U.S. "Flag Code" and check up on some of the protocols and etiquette, here is a link to the web site that has a readable copy of the "Flag Code" :

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

I hope this helps, but if not, or you have any other Flag-related questions, please let us know.

Whatever "solution" you come up with, could you take some pictures of your Flag on your backyard fence and post some of them back here? Thanx!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.