Flag display

Discussion in 'Other Flags' started by KTMRider, Jun 22, 2007.

1. KTMRider

KTMRider Guest

Where is the proper placement for the American Flag when there are three flag poles angled out from the front of a building? The other two flags are the State of California, and the corporate logo of the company I work for. All three poles are of the same height and angle. Thanks for your help.

2. the same rule applies to these poles as they would if they were free-standing poles infront of the building
    that is that the US flag goes on its own right
    if you are facing the building and the flagpoles the US flag should be on the far left pole
    then pu thr state flag on the middle pole and the company right on the right side pole.

3. stargazer720

stargazer720 Guest

Greetings to all as this is my first post to this group! I have a similar issue to deal with. I work for the local college and our Canadian Studies department recently requested that I fabricate a flagpole bracket to match three they already have. These brackets are affixed to the porch posts in the front of the building. There are five posts on this porch (three to the left of the entry and two to the right) and currently the brackets are on two posts to the right of the entry (as you enter the building) and then another at the extreme left post. If I put the new bracket on the post next to the one on the left then the post immediately to the left of the entry steps will be vacant and the flags will not be symetrically displayed. My thought is to move the existing bracket on the extreme left post over and then mount the new bracket on the post immediately to the left of the stairs. This will create symetry if the flags are measured outward from the center of the entry steps. The four flags to be displayed are the U.S. flag, Canadian, NY State and Provence of Quebec. Since all are at the same height, I know that the U.S. flag should be to the left but I think it would be more prominently diplayed to the immediate left of the stairway, with the Canadian flag at the right of the stairs and the state and provence flags at the outer posts. Would this be a proper way to honor the flag or should I stick to the leftmost position for the U.S. flag? Also we have another location (in front of a different building) Where We fly the U.S. flag and our College flag on the same pole. We are an agency of NY state but are we considered a corporation or not? This would certainly affect whether or not it is appropriate to fly both on the same pole. TIA for your replies, and I'm glad to be a part of this group.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2007
  4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, welcome to the forum!

The four flags to be displayed are the U.S. flag, Canadian, NY State and Provence of Quebec. Since all are at the same height, I know that the U.S. flag should be to the left but I think it would be more prominently diplayed to the immediate left of the stairway, with the Canadian flag at the right of the stairs and the state and provence flags at the outer posts. Would this be a proper way to honor the flag or should I stick to the leftmost position for the U.S. flag?

This is a bit of a judgement call. The problem is that, symbolically, there are two conflicting things going on: you want to show the flags in their order of precedence, but you also want to show that the US and Canadian flags are the "house flags," as it were, of the building. Personally, I'd be inclined to follow the flag code and go with US/Canada/NY/Quebec from left to right as you face the building. Doing it the other way is symbolically awkward, because it looks like the NY flag has precedence over the US flag.

Another suggestion, which might not be feasible: Could the US and Canadian flags be flown on poles that are slightly, but noticeably, longer than the other two, or could the brackets for those two poles be mounted higher, so that the national flags are higher than the state/provincial flags? That would solve the precedence problem and also give you the arrangement that you want.

We fly the U.S. flag and our College flag on the same pole. We are an agency of NY state but are we considered a corporation or not? This would certainly affect whether or not it is appropriate to fly both on the same pole.

I don't think it matters. The college flag repesents your institution, whether it's a corporation or not, and there's no reason that it can't be flown under the US flag.

Best,

Peter Ansoff