Flag display

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by mfacey, Jan 4, 2008.

1. mfacey

mfacey New Member

Hello to all my fellow members. I have been tasked by me Sgt to find out the proper protocol for displaying the flag in doors in a display case. Should it be folded or can it be unfurled and put in a glass display case.

I look forward to your responses on this matter. Thank you for your time and patience. :D

Mark A. Facey
    Deputy Sheriff
    Tulsa County Sheriff's Office

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings, Mark!

I have been tasked by me Sgt to find out the proper protocol for displaying the flag in doors in a display case. Should it be folded or can it be unfurled and put in a glass display case.

Actually, either way is fine -- it just depends on how much space is available for the display. Personally, I'd go for unfolded, simply because it looks more impressive.

If it's displayed unfolded, the union with the stars should be on the left side, as viewed by an observer. If it's folded, the classic "tricorn" style is the most common. You can buy special triangular flag display cases that are designed to accomodate a flag that's folded this way.

One other consideration is that hanging a large flag on a wall (even in a case) puts strain on the fabric. If the flag is old and fragile, it should either be displayed flat or provided with some kind of physical support. A musuem curator could provide advice on how to best do that.

Hope this is useful information!

Peter Ansoff

3. mfacey

mfacey New Member

Thanks for the quick response, it was very helpfull.