Flag Display

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by wrightl, May 27, 2009.

1. wrightl

wrightl New Member

What is the correct etiquette for displaying the U.S. flag with a state flag in front of a building? Is an observer entering the building or leaving the building?

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

What is the correct etiquette for displaying the U.S. flag with a state flag in front of a building? Is an observer entering the building or leaving the building?

Hi. The US flag goes on its own right as one faces out from the building. To a person standing in front of the building and facing it, the US flag would be on the left.

Peter Ansoff

3. wrightl

wrightl New Member

To Peter Ansoff:

Thanks. You have helped settle an argument!
    Linwood Wright

4. kathy mlsna

kathy mlsna New Member

I work at a store that has 2 entrances grocery side and general merchandise side. We have a USA Flag and a state flag hanging at each entrance. If I walk in thru grocery entrance the flags are to my right, if I walk in thru general merchandise entrance the flags are to my left. Regardless of which way I enter should the USA flag be on my left when I stand in front of them, thus making the other set look backwards?

5. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, Kathy, welcome to the forum!

The issue isn't where the flags are in relation to the entrances, but where they are in relation to each other. The US flag should be to the left of the state flag, from the perspective of someone standing in front of the building and facing it. If there are two entrances, and each one has a "set" (US and state) displayed near it, then the US flag should be to the left of the state flag in each set.

I hope that this answers your question -- if not, let us know and we'll try again!

Peter Ansoff