Flag disposal

Discussion in 'American Flag Disposal' started by marinemombanks, Jan 27, 2012.

1. marinemombanks

marinemombanks New Member

I appreciate your website. I learned more than what I went there for. Before you burn an unserviceable flag, is it ok to set it on the table or on something until you can take the proper time to burn it in a dignified way?

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, thanks for posting! I've moved this thread to the Flag Disposal section for easier reference.

Before you burn an unserviceable flag, is it ok to set it on the table or on something until you can take the proper time to burn it in a dignified way?

Of course it's OK. The flag is not a holy icon that must be handled according to a detailed and exacting set of rules. The basic idea is that it is a symbol of the nation and should not be treated in a way that would suggest lack of respect for the nation (e.g., crumpled up in a corner or used as a wiping rag).

Peter Ansoff

3. Mildred Holland

Mildred Holland New Member

I have a question as to if is disrespectful to cut the stars from the blue field and give to a veteran to thank them for their service to there country.

4. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Greetings Mildred,

Welcome to the USA Flag Forum. There is a search box in the upper right corner of this forum. Type in: cutting the flag and click on SEARCH to read what others have asked and said about this issue. Keep in mind that the US Flag Code simply recommends respectfully burning the flag (the whole flag) to retire it. Personally, I would adhere to the US Flag Code, and find other meaningful and thoughtful ways to thank a veteran for serving.

Bill Jameson
    Vet & Flag Advocate

5. RickR

RickR New Member

can I fold up an old flag and put it in a bag then take it down to the local VFW and give it to them for proper retirement?

6. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Hi RickR, welcome to the forum.

Taking an unserviceable contemporary flag (which is tattered or torn or stained beyond repair) in a bag to the local VFW for proper retirement is perfectly O.K. However, if the flag is an "old flag" with a history (even though tattered, torn or stained) raises the potential that perhaps it should not be relegated to a VFW retirement. It may be of historical interest for preservation.

If you think your "old flag" should be examined before being burned, please take several photos and post them on this forum. Some of our members are qualified to give you an evaluation of the flag and perhaps some recommendations. We look forward to your decision.

7. RickR

RickR New Member

This is just a flag I bought at Home Depot that has been flying for several months that has become a little tattered