Flag Disposal

Discussion in 'American Flag Disposal' started by Mike Wilkins, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Mike Wilkins

Mike Wilkins New Member

The proper way to dispose of the American flag is to first cut the union from the stripes. After you do that you then burn the stripes and bury the union in an unmarked grave so it may rest in peace.

2. Shane Arton

Shane Arton New Member

Though you burned the the Union with the stripes after you cut them from each other.

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

My Own Personal Opinion On How American Flags Should Be "Retired" When They Have Deteriorated To The Point Of No Longer Being A Fitting Symbol For Our Nation.

IMHO : Whether U.S./American Flags are printed or dyed on a single piece of material, or if they're sewn together from a number of pieces of cloth: each one was flown by us as a whole Flag, each one was respected by us as a whole Flag, each one has served us as a whole Flag, and each one has represented us as a whole Flag. Therefore, since each American Flag was flown and respected by us, and served and represented us as a whole, entire Flag, when they have reached the "end of their useful lives" of representing us and our Nation, then each U.S./American Flag SHOULD be "retired to the flames" (burnt), UNCUT, in a respectful and dignified manner as a WHOLE, ENTIRE FLAG.

Just MY Own Personal Opinion, Of Course.

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

Shane Arton likes this.
  4. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

I'm really fascinated of how America disposes of the Stars and Stripes. I know this is out of context with the thread but I personally hate the destruction of a flag (legal or illegal). I have come across some very distressed flags which have been abandoned or discarded and basically rescued them. Call me sad but a flag is for life. I hate to see a flag tattered and torn but like us humans we age and basically become tattered and torn but for all that we have a history and experience that is precious.
    To quote Dylan Thomas 'rage against that good light'
    UJ