Flag Doormats?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by jbray333, Jun 15, 2009.

?

What do you think of using flag elements in doormats?

Poll closed Jul 15, 2009.
  1. Why not? It's a free country!

40.0%
  2. Don't care either way.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Depends on what it looks like.

40.0%
  4. No way!

40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jbray333

jbray333 New Member

I was in a major department store today and found numerous doormats for sale that use elements of the American Flag. I found this to be very offensive to think that anyone would find it acceptable to wipe their feet on a doormat having red and white stripes bordered by a blue field and white stars! I intend to contact the corporate office of the company to complain but would like to cite law that would add more emphasis to my argument. The store manager said there was nothing she could do about it. I see things like this everywhere and am deeply offended by it. While patriotism is terrific and unthinking citizens might find it OK, I do not. Suggestions (besides not shopping there)?

I'm new to this and posted the above previously as a reply to Designer1 but am now starting a new thread.

Attached Files:

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

I believe there is an important distinction between "the flag" and "designed with elements of the flag." A door mat or any other utilitarian device using a motif of stripes and stars is intended to express patriotic sentiment. IF that same item portrayed a complete USA flag with 13 stripes and a blue canton of white stars it would be a violation of the Flag Code to use it as such. Patriotic bunting of red white and blue fabric, with or without stars, was used specifically to conform to the Flag Codes prohibition against using the flag as a cover when unveiling a statue, festooned for decoration, etc., etc.

3. jbray333

jbray333 New Member

Thank you for your reply. So it's your contention that as long as a doormat doesn't have the exact appearance of a US Flag, contain all thirteen stripes and all 50 stars on a field of blue, it is perfectly acceptable to go ahead and wipe your feet on it? What other design contains all of those elements, except an American Flag?

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

You could have a rug of 13 red/white stripes with a blue border of 50 stars and the slogan WELCOME on it and there's no way I would consider that as an American flag. Where it becomes "iffy" in my mind is where a rug would have a picture of a waving flag. There the intent is definitely to portray the image of the flag for you to wipe your feet on, yet the rug is not "the flag."

Technically, the hundreds of millions of United States postage stamps that portray the American Flag that are used once and discarded violate the Flag Code: "The flag ...should not be ... printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard."

Any Forum members collect illegal US Flag stamps?

Nick