Flag etiquette, no light

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by D1Dalio, Jan 4, 2017.

1. D1Dalio

D1Dalio New Member

Army vet here with a retired Navy officer next door who should know the flag is flown with a light at night. I approached him, in a neighborly manor and his response was they don't light the flag on a ship at night. We live in the desert.
    I'm tired of seeing the flag flown in the dark and am about to light it up from my house. However, I would prefer he take responsibility and do the right thing. At this point I'm wondering if there is someone I can report this to localy like VFW or maybe the Boy Scouts should come over and talk him into putting up a light.

2. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

As ex navy our onboard flags were always illuminated if we were entering or leaving a port of call during the hours of darkness. I have left flags flying through the night but only because I was probably too inebriated to lower them. I wish I had neighbours who displayed a flag but sadly my neighbours don't share my love for flags or the symbolic and patriotic reason why I fly my flag. I know this isn't a definitive answer but then again he's an officer so he's not the sharpest tool in the box.
    UJ

3. D1Dalio

D1Dalio New Member

Agree about the sharpness. It just rubs me wrong every night I see the flag out there without a light on it and after 3 years of it I'm looking for a way to get it lit. Having trouble getting a good number for the local VFW as well, their website needs an update.
    Haven't given up on the Scouts, maybe a little 12 or 14 year old can shame him into some proper flag etiquette.

God bless Robert Meyers, retired Navy, Leawood, KS. Just passed yesterday of natural causes. RIP Bob.

4. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

Sometimes you've got to let it go but I can relate to your frustrations. 'Eight Bells' Bob RIP