Flag Flown 24 hours a day Half-Staff

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by FA1SGL, Jan 12, 2011.

1. FA1SGL

FA1SGL New Member

An organization flies the US Flag, along with those of the State and the Corporate "flag" 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with appropriate lighting as proscribed.

During a period of mourning as directed by Presidential Proclamation the Flag is to be flown at half-staff for the period indicated in the Proclamation.

What I cannot find anywhere s specific guidance for the period from Sunset to Sunrise. If the Flag is flown 24 hours a day is it to be flown at Half-staff during the hours of darkness? Is it raised during the hours of darkness?

I can find information concerning almost every aspect of this except for this question. My purely personal view is if the US Flag is flown day and night it is to be at half-staff for the entire 24 hour period.

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, FA1SGL. Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums!

My personal opinion is that if the Flags are properly displayed (and lighted) 24 hours a day at FULL-staff, then they should be properly displayed (and lighted) 24 hours a day when flown at HALF-Staff for the mourning period prescribed.

That is my own PERSONAL opinion. I am NOT citing any sources, official or otherwise.

Regarding the "Sunrise-To-Sunset" part of your posting: If one were to fly their Flag/Flags at FULL-Staff on an S-T-S basis (like I do), then (in my opinion) they should do the same when flying their Flag/Flags at HALF-Staff too (like I do).

There may be an official source to be cited or other opinions on the subject.

HERE's a link to one of our current threads (With PHOTOS!) on the same subject : http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/folks-flag-their-home-where-references-9366.html

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums !

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA