Flag from another country

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Randy Beaumont, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Randy Beaumont

Randy Beaumont New Member

Is it acceptable to fly an American flag and another countries flag on a single pole with a double truck? Both would be at equal height and equal size.
    Everything I see says 2 poles because of height but this would be solved, or is there another reason?

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Well . . . The Flag Code says "When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height." There is some logic to that, because flying two flags side-by-side on the same pole would not allow them to fly freely and be seen clearly.

For what it's worth, however, US Navy regulations imply that it's correct to fly two national flags that way in at least one specific situation. When a US ship is firing a salute to a foreign nation or dignitary, NTP 13(B) states that "If a single-masted ship, underway, is not fitted with a gaff, the foreign national ensign(s) will be displayed to port of the U.S. national ensign at the masthead," which sounds similar to what you describe. This is not really a contradiction, because the flag code does not apply to the military, and vice-versa.

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

…..
    Hoo-Ray For Us Confused CIVILIANS !!!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.
    …..

4. Randy Beaumont

Thank you Peter, that was my thought as well., but i do have to check on options.

Robin, not certain how your post was helpful but thanks anyway.

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

…..
    Hi, Randy!

Peter is correct (very correct) when he wrote, QUOTE : "There is some logic to that, because flying two flags side-by-side on the same pole would not allow them to fly freely and be seen clearly."

I know, because I actually tried to do just that a number of years ago. The two flags just get all wrapped up together, and you can never quite see both Flags at the same time under the very best of circumstances. The military "regulations" are usually VERY precise, as opposed to the "U.S. Flag Code" which is written as "guidelines" for us civilians and are sometimes not only a little "confusing" for us civilians, but two different sections can sometimes mean almost opposite things. Very confusing!

I apologize for my "confused civilians" reply.

HAPPY FLAG DAY !!!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.
    …..

6. Randy Beaumont

No need to apologize, I'm a 14 year vet and sometimes miss the exactness myself.