flag id

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by spike, Apr 14, 2014.

1. spike

spike New Member

I just got a flag with 48 stars college flag& mfg. co, pa. 3.52x 6.688 . I was wondering if any one could give any it infomation on it as to what it may have been used for and age its in great shape.

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hello Spike,
    Welcome to the forum! Your flag was a flag made for the government under a contract that Collegeville Flag had with it. The "odd" size is because the government standardized their flag sizes for all their departments in 1912. "On June 24, 1912 president William Howard Taft implemented the first specific regulations governing the proportions and design of the flag of the United States by the signing of Executive Order 1566." Could you send us some photos of your flag? We would love to see it.

3. spike

spike New Member

sorry it took so long my hard drive crashed I have photos but they are to big to down load here. Is there another email I can send to? also from what you emailed I think my flag was made between feb. of 1912 and june of 1912. any more info on when it was made were it might or was used and what you think it would be worth.

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Here are Spike's photos of his flag:

DA 1sm.jpg

DA 3sm.jpg

DA 4sm.jpg

5. Shell

Shell New Member

We have what looks lke the same flag. Same size and manufacturer. What have you found out about this flag? Also, do you have an approximate value? Thanks, any ifo would be appreciated.

6. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Shell!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

Spike's initial entry about his Flag and the responses to it are about 4 years old (April-May, 2014). I think the last time Spike stopped by was back in May, 2015. Unfortunately, he/she did not leave any further word about his/her Flag.

The U.S. Flag officially had 48 Stars for 47 years. The U.S. Flag had 46 Stars until July 3rd, 1912 and then gained two new Stars on July 4th, 1912 with the addition of New Mexico and Arizona to our nation's Union. The Flag would retain its 48-Star configuration for 47 years: from July 4th, 1912 to July 3rd, 1959. That configuration changed with the addition of the 49th Star (Alaska) added on July 4th, 1959, and then the 50th Star (Hawaii) was added on July 4th, 1960. The U.S. Flag has had 50 Stars since July 4th,1960. Your Flag, therefore, is probably between about 59 and 116 years old.

If your Flag is made of WOOL it was probably made BEFORE World War 2 (before wool was rationed), say 1912 to 1942. If your Flag is made of COTTON it was most likely made DURING or AFTER WW2, say 1942 to 1959. MOST, but maybe not all, 48-Star U.S. Flags made between July 4th, 1912 and July 3rd, 1959, were made with APPLIQUED Stars that were sewn-on and NOT embroidered. If your Flag was made with embroidered Stars it was probably made in the mid/late 1950's.

Although I can not give you a reasonable or approximate value for your Flag, I can recommend you check out the "Completed Listings" on eBay for Flags similar to yours. The "odd size" (3.52' x 6.69') mentioned earlier is what is known, militarily, as a "Size #9". Flag or Ensign. When you do your "Completed Listings" search on eBay you might need to try a few different search terms to find what you're looking for. Whatever entries you find, please pay attention to the "SOLD" Flags. People can ASK whatever price they want for their items, BUT the actually selling prices will give you a much better idea as to your Flag's MARKET VALUE. I just checked on eBay and used the search terms (all 3 together) "Collegeville" "Flag" "48 Star". I found a grand total of only THREE Flags, ALL of which were the larger size 5 Flags (5'x9½') that are known as "Interment Flags" (or burial, casket, coffin, funeral Flags, etc.). You may try your own search using slightly different words, such as "48 Stars" or "48 Star", or maybe "U.S. Flag" or "American Flag". You might also try the same search on an internet search engine such as Google, Bing, etc.

BTW : The Size #9 Flags, like you have, are MUCH more "collectible" than the larger Size #5 (Interment) Flags! Flag collectors like smaller Flags because they can collect more of them using the same size storage area.

I'm sorry that I can't be of more assistance.

Good Luck!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

7. Shell

Shell New Member

Thanks Robin for your input. We will investigate further.