Flag Identity

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Parth, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Parth

Parth New Member

So I drove by a house with a flag in the yard. It looked strange to me so I wanted to see if anyone knew what it was or if it was some sort of custom designed flag.

It is extremely similar to the concentric circle designs seen on this website: 38 Star Flag - (1877-1890) (U.S.). However, it doesn't have the centre or corner stars, only the two concentric circles. I don't know exactly how many stars are in either circle but I would guess that it is a little less than 38 stars total.

The shape is also not like a traditional flag. It is more similar to a pennant flag. However, pennant flags tend to have a downward slope on the top edge and an upward slope on the bottom edge. This flag was flat on both the top and bottom but it did feature the cut-out triangle shape at the right edge that you see on all pennant flags.

Does anyone know what this is? Pardon my ignorance if this is obviously a novelty flag of some sort, I know nothing about flag history and posted out of sheer curiosity and a desire to learn.

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, Parth -- welcome!

My first guess is that you saw a replica of a 19th century US Cavalry Guidon. They looked like this:

cavalrysmall.jpg

This particular one has stars on the corners, but not all of them did -- they were updated like the US flag when states were added to the union. You can buy these replicas from many flag dealers. This particular one is available form Patriotic Flags in Charleston SC (Flag Store).

Peter Ansoff

3. Parth

Parth New Member

Thanks! I think that was it.

It might have had the corner stars as well, but I remember it without them. I may be mistaken though.

Aside from that, it looked exactly the same.