flag in rain if....

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Lorraine, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Lorraine

Lorraine New Member

I have a daughter in the Navy and was so happy to get a flag and pole yesterday. Since it is the kid that attaches to the side of a house, I figured on getting a spotlight so I can leave it up at night. Then I statred to worry about the weather. Last night was fine when I went to bed and then poured at 5am. If it is a pretty permanent posting ( I would take it down in a strong wind or when I knew a bad storm was coming) is it wrong to keep it up and not run out if it rains when I am either asleep or at work?

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

----
    Hello, Lorraine!

Welcome to the USA FLAG SITE Forums!

Since we don't know what type of Flag or flagpole you have, I'll try to cover as many bases as I can and hope that it makes enough sense to you that it actually "anwers" your question!

Most American Flags manufactured in the U.S.A. are, for the most part, considered "all-weather". However, "all-weather" actually means "MOST-weather". Meaning, the the Flags are usually alright in MOST weather conditions, and it should be OK to fly them. however... Very high winds, ice storms, and heavy snow storms are the "exceptions" to the rule. Put your Flag & pole inside if the weather forecast calls for "severe" or "heavy" weather conditions!

The "most weather" Flags I'm talking about are ones that are made of Nylon or "2-ply, spun polyester", and have their "fly" ends re-inforced with at least four lines of lock-stitching. The nylon and polyester fabrics don't soak up water, so they don't get "loaded down" with the extra weight. They are, for the most part, "most weather" Flags. Additionally, the "2-ply, spun polyester" Flags are made specifically to bear up better under windy conditions.

Flags that are made of cotton, light-weight printed polyester, and polyester-cotton (poly-cotton) blends are not really suited for long-term outdoor exposure to the elements. The printed polyester and poly-cotton Flags are usually considered "light duty", and are for occasional, or short-term, use only. They are also the least expensive Flags to buy. Cotton Flags, like cotton towels, soak up a LOT of water and become quite heavy when they get wet. It is best to fly them only when you're sure that the weather will to be "fair".

The type, width, and length of your house flagpole can make a difference too, as can the type of "bracket" or flagpole holder.The thinner and/or longer your house flagpole is, the more likely it will be to fold, bend, or buckle under windy conditions. Remember, the Flag on the pole acts as a "sail", so the bigger and/or heavier it is will make it exert more lateral force on the end of your flagpole. A shorter, thicker flagpole will be less likely to buckle under windy conditions. A cast metal, aluminum, brass, or steel, bracket is FAR superior to a plastic, resin, or nylon bracket.

Your "best bet" for a "most weather" Flag set would be something along the lines of a 3'x5' NYLON Flag (2-ply spun polyester if in a very windy area), mounted on a 1" (one inch) minimum diameter, 5' or 6' long flagpole, held in place by a correctly sized (to the flagpole's diameter) cast metal (aluminum, steel, or brass) flagpole bracket. The screws fastening the bracket to the house, porch, beam, etc., should be long enough to penetrate at least 1" (or deeper) into solid wood, brick, concrete, etc.

If you have a light specifically installed to light your Flag at night, try to have it set up with an "electric eye" that will automatically turn on the Flag's light at dusk and turn it off at dawn. That way you won't forget to turn it on or off.

If the weather forecasts indicate that there is some "heavy" weather on the way (such as ice, heavy snow, or sleet, or very heavy rain, or high winds), dis-mount your flagpole along with its Flag, and put them inside until the weather clears.

OK ???

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.
    ----------