Flag pet hates

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by Union Jack, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

As a flag lover I appreciate flags and everything that flags mean. Because I love flags I find there are certain things that unsettle me regarding our beloved fluttering cloth.
    My pet hates are (1) Flags that are displayed indoors. I personally don't mind miniature flags being displayed indoors but something about a fully fledged flag on a flag pole sitting there limp is anathema to me. I believe a flag should feel the breeze and flutter.
    (2) two flags flown on the same flag staff. This maybe controversial but I find that flying one flag above the other is silly. I can understand why this is done but it doesn't sit easy with me. Just invest in another flag pole.
    (3) a flag pole that doesn't fly a flag. I hate it when I see a flag pole without a flag flying from it. I can excuse a derelict building with a flag pole but a building that is occupied and has a flag pole without a flag flying really pisses me off. I feel I want to go inside and tell the owner to put their hand in their pocket and splash out on a flag.
    Anyhow these are my pet hates has anyone else out there in flag world got a flag pet hate?

2. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

C'mon flagland! somebody Reply. Can't just me who's got a gripe or two about flags.
    UJ

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Greetings, Union Jack!

I think that most of my Flag-related "pet peeves" are pretty minor. In regards to the three (3) that you posted (above), I'm pretty much "OK" with the first two. I'm "OK" with "full-sized" indoor Flags on poles, and I'm "OK" with an outdoor flagpole flying two Flags as long as they are both "correctly" sized to the pole. Three Flags on the same pole? Well..... I don't know about that! As for a flagpole without a Flag (I think of them as NAKED flagpoles!), I don't get PO'd about it. Whenever I see a "naked" flagpole, I feel a little sad. Kind of like a "missed opportunity" to fly a Flag or two.

Of course, then there are torn, tattered, and/or faded Flags, and the flying the U.S. Flag for "political" purposes. I don't necessarily get angry or upset. I have given people free Flags (in person or anonymously) who have a naked flagpole or are flying worn-out Flags. Nobody has ever yelled or gotten angry with me for giving them a free Flag. And in each an every case, their new Flag was up and flying within a few days.

But then... what about Flag "burning"?

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

4. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

I wish I could afford to distribute flags to premises that have naked flagpoles. I agree with you about people who burn flags. Usually it's the US, British, Israeli or French flag that gets torched. It's not so bad when you see it in some far distant war torn land but when it's on your doorstep..... now that really makes me feel angry and sad.

5. Robin Hickman

Well, it's NOT like I hand out free Flags every day! Usually, it's only about three to five (3-5) 3'x5' Flags per year. I give out little 4"x6" stick Flags to kids when I'm holding one of my "Flag Sales". For most of the children it's their very first Flag.

Usually my Flag donations are usually very low key ("under the radar", so to speak), but I did get "caught on tape" one time when I raised a big fuss about a woman's Flag that was stolen off the side of her house on the 4th of July. One of our local TV news stations ran a story about it, and I pestered them for a couple of days to tell me where she lived so I could give her one of my Flags. A reporter from KVAL finally called me back and we made arrangements for me to replace the Flag that Jean had stolen. They were waiting for me inside her kitchen when I showed up!

I wrote about it in a previous thread a few years ago:

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/threads/flag-stolen-then-flag-replaced.10537/

PS. The KVAL videos might be a little slow to "load", but eventually they'll play, but not after a short commercial!

Robin

6. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

I tried to view the thread but no joy. I'll try again tomorrow as its late this side of the herring pond. Sometimes magnanimous gestures aren't appreciated enough. When I was in the navy I nearly got arrested in Portsmouth by a policeman for informing him that the Union Flag that was flying outside his police station was upside down. It wasn't until I showed him my navy i.d and explained to him the significance of what it could mean did he reluctantly release me. I'm not sure what he would have charged me with but no doubt he would have thought of something. Always amazed by how many government buildings fly the UF upside down..... (another pet hate)

7. Robin Hickman

Sorry about the problems with the thread I linked you to. The thread itself, and the two stories it contains, is almost four years old. Seems like only a couple of years ago... Time flies!

It looks to me that the KVAL video for the original story is not longer on its page, but the still photos (9) and the story are still there.

http://kval.com/news/local/really-nasty-of-someone-to-steal-a-flag-on-the-fourth-of-july

The second link (for the follow-up story) is just plain broken. A search on the KVAL-News website produced the following Link, and it appears (to me) to work. There is a 15-second :)15) TV commercial at the beginning.

http://kval.com/news/local/collector-helps-victim-after-star-spangled-bandit-steals-flag

If for any reason neither of those work, I posted the video to the follow-up story (NO Commercial) on my Facebook page back on July 11th, 2013.

https://www.facebook.com/RobinHickman/videos/10201559748976486/

Anyway, I guess one of my Flag-related "pet peeves" is... FLAG THIEVES !!!

Oh, Well . . . . .

Robin