Flag Position for photo backgrounds

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by syfromm, Nov 4, 2010.

1. syfromm

syfromm New Member

Is there a requirement for the flag to face a specific direction (i.e. stars to right of viewer) if flag is used as a background for a photo with a person in front of it? The flag is not hanging on a pole, it would be spread out horizontally in the background.

Can/should the flag's stars be to the left of the person in the picture or the left of the person viewing the picture? Or can it go either way?

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

I don't understand how it could make a difference whether you were taking a photo of just the flag, or with a person in the picture with the flag. When the flag is displayed flat against a wall it should always appear with the canton to the left as you are looking at it. In a photo it does not matter if the person in the photo is looking at you or at the flag, the stars should still be towards the left side of the photo.

Or am I missing something here?:confused:

Nick

3. syfromm

syfromm New Member

Thanks, makes sense. I remember a rule about the flag being on the podium or off the podium facing an audience, and it's supposed to be on the speaker's left depending on it's location, so thought some strange exception applied when taking a photo of a flattened out flag; or that there was maybe no rule. I've seen backgrounds of flags in various designs, in various positions.