Flag Presedence???

Discussion in 'Other Flags' started by SwampDonkey, Jun 24, 2008.

1. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey New Member

I have heard conflicting views---as looking at the Flags in front of you is the proper order US Flag---POW/MIA Flag----Marine Corps Flag--several sites have it differently--help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Swamp Donkey

2. Some people think that the Powmia flag is next in line from the US flag - above the state flags...

this question has been asked before in these forums.. so i will paste in an answer from Peter ansoff...

''Hi, again!

I've seen this language on several web sites that deal with the POW/MIA flag:

Prisoners of War and those Missing in Action come from every state, thus the POW/MIA flag has precedence over state flags. The following guidelines should be followed in flying the POW/MIA flag:

If flying the flag from ONE FLAG POLE, the POW/MIA flag is flown directly below the National Colors. . . .

I don't know who originally wrote this language. However, the statement that the POW/MIA flag has precedence over state flags not correct according to US military regulations -- they are clear that state flags take precedence over the POW/MIA flag. (See my previous post for the references.) According to military precedence, the order should be US flag, state flag, POW/MIA flag if they are all on the same pole. ​

Civilians don't have to follow military regulations, and non-military organizations are free to make up their own rules. However, one would think that they would want to follow military regs on a matter of this sort.​

Peter Ansoff''

if it was me i would tend to follow military regulations

hope that helps ya swamp donkey - and welcome to USA flag site

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey New Member

Thanks for getting back--so I am correct in as looking at the Flags

US FLAG-----POW/MIA FLAG-----MARINE CORPS FLAG

Swamp Donkey

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

I am correct in as looking at the Flags US FLAG-----POW/MIA FLAG-----MARINE CORPS FLAG

Actually, no. According to military regulations, all service flags take precedence over the POW/MIA flag. The correct precedence would be US-USMC-POW/MIA.

Regards,

Peter Ansoff

5. yea.. i agree with Peter