Flag size with 25 foot pole

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by billrlogan, Jun 1, 2010.

1. billrlogan

billrlogan New Member

I posted this the other day on Flag Poles. I wanted to post it here so I could get an answer to the size of flag I need once I finish this.
    I really need some input on this if I can get it from ya all. I have started building this already and I am about to start working on it again. I have a bunch of 10 foot pieces of 4 inch, 3 inch and 2 inch schedule 40 PVC laying around here and plan on using it.
    What I have done so far is that I have sunk a 10 foot piece of 4 inch S40 into a concrete base that is 3 foot by 3 foot wide by 4 foot deep. I have 4 foot of the 10 foot piece centered in the concrete. That is leaving me with 6 foot sticking up out of the ground/concrete.
    I am planning on pounding 10 foot pieces of 4 inch, 3 inch and 2 inch PVC down inside of each other while staggering each piece a few feet apart so to make it strong and then bolting it all together. I know I am going to have to cut a small section out of the side of some of the pieces in order for them to fit inside of each other. When finished I should end up with a 25 foot pole that is the thickness of a 4, 3 and 2 inch combined piece of PVC.
    Does anybody think this will work???? And if so, what size flag should I fly from it?
    Any input on this will be greatly appreciated. Please help me out here with your input, PRO or CON :)
    Thanks again, Bill in Texas.............

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

GREETINGS, billrlogan !!! :D

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums !!!

The general "rule of thumb" regarding flagpoles and Flag sizes is that the "fly" length (from the "hoist" - header - to the "fly" end) of the Flag "should" be 1/4 to 1/3 the heighth of the flagpole. Or, if you prefer, the flagpole should be three to four times the fly length of the Flag flying from it.

So, as a general rule of thumb, a 4'x6' or 5'x8' Flag would be the "proper" size to fly from a 25 foot flagpole. :cool:

If you're going to be flying two flags from your 25' flagpole, I'd recommend the 4'x6' size. They'll look to be more "proportional" flying together and, when the time comes, they'll be easier to fly at "half-staff".

FWIW (For What It's Worth): I'm sorry that I didn't see your entry about this earlier in the "Flagpoles" forum. :eek:

I, for one (and I'm sure there are others), would like to see pictures of your new flagpole and its construction process. Could you post some pictures of it???

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our forums !!! :D

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

3. billrlogan

billrlogan New Member

Thanks Robin for your input. I am doing some photos as I go while building the pole and will place them on here when I am through. Hopefully it will work. Could you make a comment on weather you think this will work or not? Thanks again for your time, Bill......

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, Bill! :D

I am NOT a mechanical, structural, or construction engineer (and I don't play one on TV!).

However . . . . .

The experiences I've had in using PVC pipe as a flagpole have NOT been good. Remember, for the most part, PVC pipe is designed to carry water and handle the "internal" water pressure, AND it is usually "supported" in some way in order to do so. The support may be from the very ground it's buried in, or the strapping that is used to hold it in place and carry its "load" as it runs along a beam or wall. PVC is NOT designed to be "load-bearing" or to carry any substantial weight or outside pressure by itself (unsupported).

I can't really say that your idea/plan is either good or bad. However, it does seem to me like an awful lot of work just to build a 25' flagpole. :eek:

Have you ever thought about using a 25' "TELESCOPIC" flagpole? They use ground sleeves made of PVC pipe set in concrete as their "base". I don't know if any of them would fir into a 4" I.D. (inner diameter) PVC pipe, or not. It might be worthwhile researching it a little.

It's just a thought . . . . . :cool:

GOOD LUCK !!! :D

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

5. billrlogan

billrlogan New Member

Thanks Robin..... I may have to give it some more thought.... you made some interesting points here