Flag sizes to be displayed

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by bfleming, Jul 22, 2007.

1. bfleming

bfleming Guest

I live in a retirement community and one of our new residents is questioning the size of the flags we display. He says they are U.S. burial flags, but I don't think they are. Is there a set rule on the size flags that can be displayed on our stage/platform and/or hanging vertically on the wall? I have searched the flag code and cannot find anything regarding the size of the flag displayed.

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, welcome to the forum!

He says they are U.S. burial flags, but I don't think they are.

There is really no such thing as a special "burial flag." The flags used to cover caskets in military funerals are standard US flags, and there is nothing about them that is different from other flags. I believe that the standard size for them is 5 x 9 1/2 feet, which matches the official proportions for US flags (10:19) specified in the Executive Order of 1959.

Your friend may be referring to the fact that most commercially-sold flags don't conform to the proportions of the Executive Order -- they are typically 2:3 or 3:5 instead of 10:19. However, they're all US flags just the same.

Is there a set rule on the size flags that can be displayed on our stage/platform and/or hanging vertically on the wall?

No, other than any rules that the community itself might have. Obviously, the size of the flag should be appropriate to the location; e.g., it shouldn't be so big that it drags on the floor.

Peter Ansoff