Flag tattoo

Discussion in 'Other Patriotism' started by Union Jack, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

As a youth in the navy I had a tattoo of a British Bull Dog holding aloft the Union Jack with an inscription of 'Brittania rules the Waves'. The tattoo has faded somewhat now but over the years I've had positive and negative comments about displaying the UJ in ink on my body (upper left arm). I know America has a flag code but would somebody who has the Stars and Stripes tattooed on their person contravene the flag code?

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

US Flag tattoos are very common, and I doubt that most people would object to them (unless perhaps they are in certain anatomic locations!).

A curious detail is that the phrase in the song was "Britannia rule (not 'rules') the waves" -- it was an order from God rather than a statement:

This was the charter, the charter of the land
    And guardian angels sang this strain
    Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves
    Britons never never never will be slaves.

3. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

Sorry for not replying sooner but in rural Bretagne my internet access is limited. Well it's been 40 years since me and my mates stumbled into that tattoo parlour on the Nathan Rd in Kowloon the worse for wear but if I could remember the exact tattoo parlour I'd go back and demand a refund. Bloody cheek adding a s. Thanks for the school lesson.