flags at city parks

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by sgtlogan, Sep 12, 2008.

1. sgtlogan

sgtlogan New Member

Hello everyone I am new to this site and would like to ask a question.
    I work at a park and the discussion of the order of the flags on our flag pole has been raised.
    We all agree that Old Glory goes on top but is it then the state flag and then the P.O.W. flag or the other way around.
    If you could provide proof of your answer I could have a better argument with my co workers.

Thanks

Mike

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

We all agree that Old Glory goes on top but is it then the state flag and then the P.O.W. flag or the other way around

Hi! The flag code does not address the precedence of the POW/MIA flag. The most up-to-date reference that I'm aware of is the Air Force flag regulation, AF134-1201. Paragraph 2.11.10 states "The POW/MIA flag will always be the last flag in any display." It also states that state and territorial flags come fourth in the order of precedence, after the US flag, other national flags, and the flag of the President of the US.

Strictly speaking, this regulation only applies to the Air Force, but I'd say that it's a good guideline. The Army flag regulation (AR 840-10) authorizes the use of the POW/MIA flag on military bases, but does not specify its precedence.

Bottom line: I'd say that the state flag should go above the POW/MIA flag. The reasoning is that the state flag represents a government, whereas the POW/MIA flag does not.

Peter Ansoff

3. PRGringo

PRGringo Member

Heck, Mike...have them put up a couple more flagpoles! :D