FLAGS Diplay Commemorating The 65th Anniversary Of the "End" Of The Korean War.

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Robin Hickman, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

GREETINGS !!!

Today, Friday, July 27th, 2018, Marks The 65th ANNIVERSARY Of The CEASE FIRE That Ended The Active Fighting Of The KOREAN WAR On Monday, July 27th, 1953.

To Commemorate The 65th Anniversary Of The "End" Of The Korean War, And To Honor The Service & Sacrifices Of Those Men & Women, Living & Dead, Who Participated, We Are Conducting A Special Display Of Flags In Front Of Our House On North Terry Street.

The Flags On Poles Across The Front Of Our Yard Are, From Left-To-Right, U.S. Army, U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Navy, U.S. Air Force, and U.S. Coast Guard.

Just Behind The U.S. Army Flag (On The Left), And Behind The U.S. Coast Guard Flag (On The Right), Are Two (2) POW*MIA Flags.

Displayed Across The Windowed Front Of Our House Between Our Usual (Everyday) U.S. Flag (Left) And State Of Oregon Flag (Right), Are The Korean War 50th Anniversary Flag (L), The Flag Of South Korea (Republic Of Korea) (C), And The Korean War Veterans' Flag (R).

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

P1220429.JPG P1220431.JPG P1220432.JPG

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    FoxValleyMike likes this.
  2. Robin Hickman

3. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Robin,

I am wondering if the Republic of Korea flag has precedence over the other two flags hung on your "windowed front", and the Korean War Veterans flag has precedence over the Korean War 50th Anniversary flag. If you agree, the flags, from left to right, should be the country flag, the veterans flag, and the 50th anniversary flag. Just a thought for your consideration.

4. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

I really like the flag display for the 65th anniversary. I will have to up my game because I've just hoisted the UN flag.

UJ

5. FoxValleyMike

FoxValleyMike Member

Very nice display Robin. Quite a few of my friends dads were in the Korean War or the Vietnam War, my dad was part of the latter.

I dont have quite the flag collection you do but I did have the stars and stripes out on Friday......all nite actually, with a light on it after sun down.

6. Robin Hickman

…..
    Greetings, FlagAdvocate!

In the "General" realm of Flag "Precedence", I would have to say that you are correct in your evaluation. The Flag of the Republic Of Korea ("South Korea") should probably be on the far left because it is a National entity. The "Korean War Veterans Memorial" Flag should probably be in the middle because it represents a real, physical thing that was duly authorized by Congress and dedicated on July 27th, 1995. Also, I like the light-blue & white "color scheme" of the "Korean War Veterans Memorial" Flag because it matches United Nations' Flag. The "Korean War 50th Anniversary" Flag should probably be on the far right because, although it represents a real series of official events that began on June 25th, 2000, it was "pre-dated" by the "Korean War Veterans Memorial", where the "kick-off" of the KW50 events took place. Unfortunately, the KW50th site appears to be "down", at least for my browser.
    http://korea50.army.mil/

I had originally intended to hang the KWMem Flag on the left, The ROK Flag in the middle, and the KW50 Flag on the right. I hung all three of the Flags where they were by standing on a rickety patio/lawn chair as I do not own a step ladder. It took me longer than I thought it would to set everything up "out front", so by the time I got around to hanging the three Flags across the front of my house, the much less warm "early" morning sun had become the much warmer "late" morning sun. In my haste to finish up and get inside the MUCH cooler house, I accidently "swapped" the intended positions of the two KW Flags. After going back out front to take some pictures (including the ones in this thread) I discovered my mistake, but decided against going through the whole "rickety chair" process of re-doing them. I placed the ROK Flag in the center where I thought it should be because South Korea, (and keeping it an independent and free country) was pretty much the CENTRAL reason WHY we were there as part of the United Nations' "Police Action".

I regret not having a U.N. Flag on hand to include in the commemorative Flags display. I do have a Flag of the "Democratic People's Republic of Korea" (North Korea), but I chose not to include it with this particular display. And, of course, my two "house" Flags (U.S. & Oregon), are slightly higher than the South Korean Flag, but there was NO disrespect intended and there really isn't too much I could have done to "correct" that.

As a civilian citizen of the United States Of America, I am not bound by any "official" military rules & regulations when it comes to Flag protocol & etiquette (or anything else "military" for that matter), including Flag "precedence". I do, however, try to somewhat follow the military protocols, especially when there doesn't seem to be a section, sub-section, paragraph, or sentence in the civilian "Flag Code" that covers a particular Flag-flying "event". When a Flag-flying situation comes up that seems to be in "limbo" (or in the Twilight Zone), I try to use some discretion and common sense when putting a Flag display together.

Additionally, I don't keep a special "Flag Flying Days" calendar with every single Flag-flying occasion shown on it. Sometimes, if I remember, I'll fly the New Zealand Flag on "Waitangi Day". Sometimes I'll fly the Canadian Flag on Canada Day, and sometimes I'll fly 20 of 'em. Sometimes I remember and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I'll fly some Mexican Flags to celebrate "Cinco de Mayo" or Mexico's Independence Day ("Día de la Independencia") on September 16th. I'll even fly a bunch of 15-Star U.S. Flags on September 14th (look it up). Sometimes it's terribly "important" to fly/display a particular Flag, or collection of Flags, and sometimes it isn't. While I may be the "caretaker" of my "Flag Collection", I am NOT its "slave". I'm sure that there are folks who own different Flags and have "special" events that they mark by flying a particular Flag a particular occasion.

On this particular occasion, as well as most others, I've tried to follow the same advice that I've given to others on this website when they have asked questions regarding their Flags and "how", "when", or "where" they should fly them. When people here ask questions about their Flags and how/when/where they "should" fly them, I usually do my best to give them the best and most accurate information and advice that I have. Then I usually add, at the end, something along the lines of, "it's your house, your flagpole, and your Flag, so fly your Flag the how, where, when, and the way that makes sense to you".

Lastly, in my defense, out of the 325,000,000 (325 Million) or so, people living in the United States, how many of them do you think put up a special display (however "correct" or "incorrect" it may be) of Flags to commemorate the 65th Anniversary of the "End" (Armistice) of the Korean War? I'll bet a lot of long-time Korean immigrants did. All things considered, I think I'm in a pretty lucky minority of the populace who can, and will, be "ready, willing, and able" do something like that.

Oh, Lucky ME!!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.
    …..

FlagAdvocate likes this.
  7. Robin Hickman

…..
    Greetings Union Jack!

I would have greatly preferred to have included a U.N. Flag in this display, however, as of right now, I do not own one. It's been on my "Flag search" list for a few years.

As far as I'm concerned, you MORE than succeeded in "upping your game" by flying the United Nations' Flag to mark the 50th Anniversary of the "End" (Armistice) of the Korean War!

Thank you, for doing that!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.
    …..

8. Robin Hickman

…..
    Greetings, FoxValleyMike!

Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it.

While you may not YET have a large "Flag Collection", I think you've got a pretty good start. I don't think that a "Flag Collection" really starts until someone has become the proud owner of THREE Flags. Not one Flag, or two Flags, but three whole Flags. It is important to note, I think, that you can't collect a third Flag until you've "collected" the first two!

So... You gotta start somewhere, right?

And, so you have!

I started with a U.S. Flag and then added a State of Oregon Flag (because I live in Oregon), and finally, a U.S. Navy Flag because I was in the Navy. Then when it was getting close to Independence Day, I "needed" a "Betsy Ross" Flag. Armed Forces Day approaching? Add Army, Marine Corps, Air Force, and Coast Guard Flags to my already collected Navy Flag! While we're at it, let's get a "Merchant Marine" Flag, too. The University of Oregon Ducks playing a football game against "such-and-such" team? Add that team's State Flag and fly 'em side-by-side with Oregon's Flag on Game Day! St. Patrick's Day? Add Flag of Ireland! Cinco de Mayo? Mexico Flag! Bastille Day? The French Tri-Color! "Talk Like A Pirate Day"? Jolly Roger Flag!

And... So... It... Goes...

Good Luck with your Flag Collecting, Mike!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.
    …..