Flags flown over capitol building

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by Panama Jack, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Panama Jack

Panama Jack New Member

I have made some searches, but I can't find an answer to my question. It's about the flags that can be purchased to have been flown over the US capitol building. Does anyone know the procedure they go through to fly them over the capitol? Does someone simply raise a flag over the capitol then lower it? I have even heard someone suggest that they just put them in a plane and then fly them over the capitol, but that sounds a little far fetched. I want to get one for my son for when he receives his Eagle award in Boy Scouts, and I'd also like to know how it's done. Thank you for any information you can provide.

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Panama Jack!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

You can get an American Flag that was flown over the U.S. Capitol building through your U.S. Congressional Representative, or either of your State's U.S. Senators. The program is overseen by the "Architect of the Capitol", and the cost of the Flags is VERY reasonable (below retail).

Basically, there are a number (unknown to me) of special flagpoles up on the flat part of the roof of the Capitol Building that are used to "fly" the Flags. There are well over 100,000 Capitol Flag Program requests each year, so each Flag is only flown for a few minutes. Each Flag is taken out of its retail box, unfolded, attached a flagpole's halyard, hoisted to the peak of the flagpole, and left to fly there (briefly). Then the Flag is brought back down, unclipped from the halyard, folded up, and put back inside of its original box. Later, a certificate of authenticity (COA) showing the date the Flag was flown and a personalized letter (showing who the Flag is for and the reason), are put into a special envelope, which is added to the Flag's package. Then everything is mailed to whatever address is designated.

Here is a link to get a little more information about the program itself. But you'll order yours through your Senator or Representative.

http://www.aoc.gov/trades-and-areas-practice/capitol-flag-program

All you have to do is go to your Representative's or Senator's government webpage and click on the appropriate button to go to the flag page. Sometimes the Flags Program button is all by itself and is easy to find, and sometimes you have to visit the "Constituents" or "Constituents Services" page to find it. You'll need to order WELL IN ADVANCE of when you think you'll need the Flag. The order form found on your Congressperson's and/or Senator's website should give you all the information that you need.

It's a GREAT Program and I wish you and your soon-to-be Eagle Scout son ALL the luck in the world!!!

Thank you for bringing your Flag-related question to our forum!

Robin Hickman
    ("Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man")
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.