Flags flown over State Capitol in memory of 911

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Anita, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Anita

Anita New Member

Hi there,
    Glad to find this site. Can anyone tell me the worth, (more importantly what I could sell it for) of a flag flown over the State Capitol? This is 5x8, in a original box and belonged my deceased brother.

It has a certificate stating that the flag was flown over the state capitol on December 19 2001, at the request of Ron Kind, Member of Congress.
    "This flag was flown in memory of the Americans lost on September 11, 2001. Signed by Alan M Hantman, FAIA Architect of the Capitol.

Any info on worth and where the best place to sell it would be APPRECIATED. Thanks.

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Anita!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

We had a very similar question here a few weeks ago concerning a "special" Capitol-Flown Flag. I gave some pretty comprehensive advice to answer that question, most of which, I think, is applicable to your question. At the very least, it should be a good place to start. I'll provide a link to it just below. Please let us know if you think it helped you or if you have any additional questions about your Flag.

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/threads/flag-flown-over-us-capitol-on-bicentennial-of-cornerstone-laying-1993.11621/

Thank You!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. Anita

Anita New Member

Thank you Robin - yes that thread is how I found your site. Still little to go on. I have been doing a regular search on Ebay for over 4 years and have never seen one specific to 911 come up.

4. Anita

Anita New Member

I also contacted Jeff Bridgeman - who like yourself took time out of his busy day to reply. He said these types of Capitol Flags are not worth much. I still believe due to the 911 connection it has to have a little more historical value that a Birthday tribute to Aunt Millie. It is a fantastically well made flag, and I guess if it is not worth more that that of a new flag, I may as well fly it.

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, Anita!

To find an "approximate" retail value of your Flag on eBay, you can try using the eBay "search terms" I listed in the other thread. eBay sellers can list whatever price they want on their items, but its at the prices that things actually sell at that actually dictates the "market value" of them. At 5'x8', your Flag is pretty much the largest that they normally fly over the Capitol as part of the Capitol Flag Program.

The U.S. Federal Government and its many branches buy MILLIONS of Made-In-America Flags every year. The Capitol Flag Program buys & flies approximately 100,000 Made-In-The-USA American Flags per year (at last count in 2012, but I think - but can't prove - that they fly a lot more than that now) at the request of members of the House and Senate. So, somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 U.S. Flags are flown over the Capitol each weekday. Because the Government buys SO many Flags, they buy them at really low, low (below wholesale) prices!

I don't know what was charged for "Capitol Flown" Flags back in 2001, but I checked on both of my Senators' webpages (Wyden and Merkley) and on my Congressman's page (DeFazio), and the CURRENT (2016) prices of the Flags themselves, having them flown over the Capitol (plus $7.00 each), and then mailed (plus $4.00 each) to a constituent are as follows:

3'x5' Nylon = $21.00 (Flag, Flown, & Mailed)
    3'x5' Cotton = $22.00 (Flag, Flown, & Mailed)
    4'x6' Nylon = $26.00 (Flag, Flown, & Mailed)
    5'x8' Nylon = $31.00 (Flag, Flown, & Mailed)
    5'x8' Cotton = $34.00 (Flag, Flown, & Mailed)
    8'x12' Cotton = $117.20 (Flag, Flown, & Mailed)

Even with the added costs of having a Flag flown over the Capitol, plus the S&H and mailing, the Flags' prices are pretty much below wholesale. That's why all the other "variables" I listed in the other thread can have such a major, or minor, impact on the market-value of a Capitol-flown Flag!

APPROXIMATE Average MSRP of NEW American Flags "Made In The USA"

3'x5' Nylon = $40.00
    3'x5' Cotton = $45.00
    4'x6' Nylon = $53.00
    5'x8' Nylon = $80.00
    5'x8' Cotton = $90.00
    8'x12' Cotton = $220.00

The "tough" part about your "9/11" Flag is that, although it was flown as a 9/11 memorial, it wasn't flown until December 19th, 2001, some three months later. You didn't say if your 5'x8' Flag was made of Nylon of Cotton, but as you can see by the Average prices above, if it were new the retail price would probably be somewhere between $80 and $90.

I don't know if any of this helps or not, but I hope it does!

Thank you for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums! Please let us know if you have any additional "Flag" questions.

Robin Hickman
    "your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.