Flags on 9/11/11

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by Mike, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Mike

Mike New Member

Will the Federal / State governments lower flags to half-staff on September 11 this year?

2. crw

crw New Member

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

YES !!!

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Will the Federal / State governments lower flags to half-staff on September 11 this year?

Yes. Congress passed a law in December 2001 that designated September 11 as Patriot Day. The law directed the president to issue a proclamation each year, stating the the flag should be half-staffed on this day. Presidents Bush and Obama have issued the proclamations each year since then, usually a few days before 9/11. There's no reason to think that this year will be different.

Peter Ansoff

5. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

As an update, President Obama issued the proclamation yesterday (9 September 11). The relevant portion reads:

I call upon all departments, agencies, and instrumentalities of the United States to display the flag of the United States at half-staff on Patriot Day and National Day of Service and Remembrance in honor of the individuals who lost their lives on September 11, 2001. I invite the Governors of the United States and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and interested organizations and individuals to join in this observance.

Peter Ansoff

6. alivenkikin2

alivenkikin2 New Member

Thanks guys, I havn't seen or heard one single discussion, on radio or tv, about 9/11 flag flying.

7. mknowlan

mknowlan New Member

8. ColonialFlagPoles

ColonialFlagPoles New Member

They really should. It's definately fitting for those big flags to be flying at half mast in honor of those that have been slain.