Flags to the 4th

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by FoxValleyMike, Jun 18, 2018.

1. FoxValleyMike

FoxValleyMike New Member

Anyone planning any unique displays on the run up to the 4th? I've got something planned that I'll let everyone in on starting in Monday......

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

…..
    OK, Mike! It's now TUESDAY, June 19th, 2018.

So... Since yesterday was Monday, whatcha got planned for your unique Flags Display???

Enquiring Flag minds want to know!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene. Oregon, USA.
    …..

3. FoxValleyMike

FoxValleyMike New Member

Haha yeah I'm a day late. Busy running around with the kids last nite to t-ball and rushing back home before the rain started.

I've got a series of different flags I'm going to be flying up until the 4th of July this year. Not really unique I guess but since no one else in my town flys anything but the current flag my house seems to stand out quite a bit now. I'll fly more than one next year when I get my other bracket up. I'm also working on gathering up a bunch of smaller stick flags to put out in my front yard and back yard for our 4th of July party this year, don't have those yet though.

So right now I'm flying the 1st Navy Jack flag (I posted a picture of it a month or so ago so wont again) until Friday when I'm going to change to something new. My plan is:

• 1st Navy Jack until Friday.
    • Grand Union/Continental Colors from Friday till Tuesday
    • Betsy Ross from Tuesday to Saturday
    • 50 Star current flag from Saturday till Tuesday

Since this year marks the bicentennial anniversary for Illinois becoming a state I'm going to fly a 21 Star flag on the 4th of July to celebrate. I may pick up an Illinois flag as well for the 4th. I'll post pictures of each flag as I can.

So lets see what everyone else is going.

4. Robin Hickman

…..
    Hi, Mike!

Looks like you've got a "plan" put together, but it must be tough having a bunch of Flags to display, but only one bracket and flagpole to do it with!

Have you thought about displaying your Flags by hanging them vertically or horizontally from a roof eave, rain gutter, etc? Or maybe using "temporary flagpoles?

Something similar to what I did at our house for Independence Day, 2017:

P1210223.JPG

I was able to display a LOT more Flags that way and you could see what they were. There were even more at our "old" house because it was situated parallel to the street instead of perpendicular like our present house.

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.
    …..

5. FoxValleyMike

FoxValleyMike New Member

I got a bunch of stick flags for the fourth so I'll have a pretty good flag display going, both front yard and back. I think I'm going to put the 50 star flag in the back yard for the fourth as well. I thought about hanging some flags from the eves but I don't know.

I got a few passer-by 's do a double take yesterday and today on the grand union flag which was fun to watch. One more day and we change to the Betsy Ross.

6. Robin Hickman

…..
    Hi, Mike!

There might be (and probably are) a lot of different ways to display your Flags hanging horizontally or vertically from the roof eaves, facia boards, gutters, or the side of a building. I'll share with you, and the other people who may read this, the way I do it. It is VERY important to note that this particular way is for buildings (and parts of buildings) that are made of WOOD.

There are four or five major components (not counting tools) that I use to mount (hang) my Flags for vertical display:

1. Screw-eyes (size 8 or 10 if I remember correctly). The "eye" should be large enough for the carabiner to pass through.

2. Aluminum Carabiners (lightweight/light duty) Sized for connecting the Flag to the screw-eyes.

3. Tent/Tarp plastic/nylon crimping hold-downs. Not sure of the actual name - they are used to crimp the fly-end of the Flag, and have a hole for a carabiner.

4. Short-length bungee-type cords (closed end - loop style - works best).

5. Large spring-type paper clips with folding handles. These are used to clamp the edges of a Flag to the edges of the gutter.

*****************************************************************************

1. The screw-eyes are made for using in wood, so obviously they can be used almost anywhere on the outside of the house. If your house's eaves are shielded with a facia board on the outside, the screw eyes can be mounted on the inside of the facia or in the eave behind the facial. That way they are out-of-sight and out of the weather. It might not always be possible to "hide" the screw-eyes, but it IS worth the extra trouble. In any case, when the screw-eyes are placed where you want them, and you know they're properly spaced and placed, use a clear sealer (or same color paint) on the "screw" part so as to keep water from entering the hole. Yes, the screw-eyes are pretty tight into the wood, but the sealer/paint is a little extra insurance against and water intrusion. I don't remember the exact size of the ones I use, but I think they are a size #8 or #10. The size #10 screw-eye is larger than the size #8. They are pretty heavy-duty and the eye part is large enough to hold two different carabiners. That is VERY important if you need to display two (or more) Flags side-by-side.

2. To attach a Flag to the screw-eyes you will use the carabiners. The carabiners will go through the Flag's grommets, or through the tent/tarp crimps on the Flag's fly-end, to connect them to the screw-eyes. In some cases, the carabiners might need to be used in conjunction with the closed loop bungees. The idea is to make sure that ALL four corners of the Flag are secured to the house.

3. The tent/tarp plastic crimps have ridges, or "teeth" on their inner surfaces to grip the edges of the Flag at one end and a hole at the other end. They will have some method (depending on the type of crimper) of opening up to the insert the Flag and then tightening down to hold it. They don't have to be "super" tight, just tight enough for you to feel confident that they won't pull loose under windy conditions. There is a type that will grip the fabric tighter the harder the pull on the crimp.

4. The short, closed-loop type, of bungees will be needed to connect the crimps on the fly-end of the Flag to the screw-eyes at that end. The type I use have the two ends of the bungee crimped inside of a nylon ball. I can pass the loop of the bungee through the hole in the tent/tarp crimpers or through the eye of the screw-eye and the ball-end will stop it from going all the way through, and use a carabiner at the other end. Sometimes I'll use a carabiner at both ends of the bungee. The MAIN reason why you would want to use the bungees instead of directly connecting the Flag to all four screw-eyes is two-fold: Not all Flags are the exact same size, so the bungees help to easily compensate for the adjustments in size, AND... the elasticity of the bungees make sure that the Flag is NOT overly stretched too tight when on display.

5. The large, spring-type paper clips are NOT the type you use to hold 5 or 6 sheets of paper. These are the type that might hold 50 or 60 (maybe 100) sheets of paper. They have to be large enough to hold the edge of the Flag and the edge of the open gutter securely together. They are made of heavy-duty "spring" steel and are usually black in color and have folding "wings that you'd use as leverage to open them, and then fold down out of the way. When I've used them it's when I need to hang a Flag off the roof gutter and in a horizontal position. I placed the clips about every 9-12" across the top edge of the Flag. If I remember correctly, I only used them for 6'x10' and 8'x12' Flags that would hang from the gutter almost reach the ground.

NOTE :
    (1.) I bought my screw-eyes at Home Depot. I'm sure that they can be found at any hardware store that has a section for wood screws and connectors. I don't remember the prices for them as it varied depending on size and number. They came in plastic bags that held 4, 6, or 8 of them, or in larger hard plastic containers that held 25, 50, or 100 screw-eyes. The more you buy, the cheaper they are apiece.
    (2.) I bought my light-duty (NOT used for climbing!) aluminum carabiners in the hardware section of my local Wal*Mart store. They cost just under a dollar each. I think I also saw them in the "camping" section too.
    (3.) I bought my tent/tarp grippers/crimpers at my local Wal*Mart. They were in the "camping" section. They came in a package that held four of them. I don't remember the exact price, but I think it was in the $4-$6 range.
    (4.) I bought the short, loop-type, bungees at my local Wal*Mart and I found them in the "camping" section. I think there were 4 or 8 in each bag. They are all the same size. I don't remember the price I paid for each bag of them.
    (5.) I bought the large, heavy-duty, spring-type, paper clips at my local Wal*Mart store. I found them in the "Office Supplies" section. They came in a box with four each in it. I don't remember the price I paid for each box.

Almost everything you'll be doing to put everything in place will be done by hand. Or, at least that's the way I've been doing it. I think the lone exception might be for installing the screw-eyes. I don't just screw them into the wood. To prevent any undue splitting or cracking of the wood, I used a "pilot hole" drill bit in a cordless drill to drill a hole that is about the same depth as the length of the screw-eye's shaft. The diameter of the pilot hole drill bit is sized to the diameter of shaft (not the threads) of the screw-eye. While it is an extra step, it makes for "cleaner" process when screwing the screw-eyes in or out, with far less damage to the wood itself. To help alleviate "cramping" in my fingers and hands when screwing the screw-eyes in or out, I use a short #1 or #2 Phillips head screw driver. I put the shaft of the screwdriver through the "eye" and use the extra leverage the handle provides me to turn it round and round. In tight spaces, partial turns are needed so there's a lot of inserting, turning, removing and then re-inserting again to turn it some more.

In regards to the placement of the screw-eyes: keep the old "carpenter's rule" ("measure twice - cut once"), in mind while doing it. If you put a screw-eye in that's too close or too far away from where it needs too be, unscrew it and fill the hole with the appropriate wood putty (or hole filler). It's a pain-in-the-butt, but do it anyway.

While I did use a ladder for some of the installation process and Flag hanging process, I can advise you in no uncertain terms, to NEVER, EVER use a 6 foot ladder to do an 8 foot ladder's job! NEVER!

In the picture above, all 8 of the Flags are displayed vertically across the front of my house. While I can also display my Flags horizontally, I can't display as many of them. I suppose one of these days I'll have to figure out how to hang them in two rows, one above the other, across the front of my house. But, not today!

I'll see if I can find, or take, a picture of some of the components listed above and post it here. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words, right?

I hope this "Primer" will help you, and anybody else, if you decide to display your Flags by hanging them from the side of your house, garage, shed, and/or other building.

Thanx for Reading!

If you think this entry is a help to you, or maybe to others, then feel free to hit the "LIKE" button at the lower right-hand corner of the posting!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

7. FoxValleyMike

FoxValleyMike New Member

Here's a picture of my flags on display up to this week.

[​IMG]

The plan for the 4th is to swap out the current flag for a 21 star flag representing Illinois being added to the Union. I'll post a pic of that on the 4th.

8. Robin Hickman

…..
    LOOKIN' GOOD !!!
    …..

9. Robin Hickman

….
    These are the items I use to hang my Flags for display on my house: Size #8 Screw Eyes, Aluminum Carabiners, Tarp Grippers, Short Looped Bungees w/Ball Ends, and Medium & Large Binder Clips.

TarpClips-Carabiners-BungeeLoops-ScrewEyes-BinderClips.JPG

I hope this photo helps to "illustrate" what I was talking about in my June 25th, 2018 entry (above).

Robin
    …..

10. FoxValleyMike

FoxValleyMike New Member

Happy 4th of July everyone!!!!!

Well I made it to my day in my series of flags to display. My 5 year old son and I were putting all of the flags out last nite in the front yard and back yard so we're all decked out (almost) for the 4th. Now its time for some dogs on the grill and an ice cold sun tea. :)

So here's the flag for the 4th. 2018 marks the bicentennial anniversary for Illinois statehood so I decided to fly the 21 star US flag for today. (Granted it should be the 20 star this year and the 21 star next year since Illinois became a state on Dec 3rd but whatever) Here is my front door as of this morning, complete with a flood light for the main flag for tonite.

[​IMG]

The flower pots at the front door, and the two at my garage door, each have a 50 star flag, Illionis flag, and the smaller ones are the 21 star, Betsy Ross and a POW/MIA flag.

[​IMG]

The mailbox flower bed is decked out with 50 star flags and Illinois flags. You cant see but along the curb are a few POW/MIA flags s well.

[​IMG]

The tree in the front yard (that's always behind my flags in the pictures I post) has some 50 star flags and POW/MIA mini flags as well.

[​IMG]

I may hang the Betsy Ross flag and the Grand Union flag on the front window, not sure yet. I'm also planning on putting the 50 star flag and pole in the back yard somewhere for today as well.

Everyone have a happy and safe 4th of July!

11. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Happy 4th Mike!!!
    What a great patriotic display. Thanks for sharing.
    FYI, a very minor flag etiquette mistake is visible and one would have to get up close to even notice. The US and Illinois flags displayed with crossed staffs should be adjusted to comply with §7(d)of the US Flag Code: " The flag of the United States of America, when it is displayed with another flag against a wall from crossed staffs, should be on the right, the flag's own right, and its staff should be in front of the staff of the other flag".