Flap Pin app

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by harmil, Jul 27, 2011.

1. harmil

harmil New Member

Folks, I could really use some help. I've just put a flag pin app up on the Android phone app market, and I would like some input on how to proceed from here, and what I can do to make sure the app is as respectful as possible.

Right now, the app just puts a flag on the "notification bar". In the future, I'd like to improve on this, and I'm definitely taking suggestions. One of the first things I want to do is display half staff and provide a link to more information about why the flag is at half staff. The question is, how do I respectfully display half staff in a tiny icon? I could fold the flag in half (essentially just show half of it) or I could "lower" it so that only the top half is displayed (I don't think I can animate it in the bar, though). What would you do? What seems most respectful?

I also want to add more flags. State flags seem like an obvious addition. Is there a right way and a wrong way to display the U.S. and state flag together?

Would it be better to display just one or the other, and let the user decide?

Anyway, this is the page for the app. Sadly, I do have to charge for it, as I'm currently unemployed and writing Android apps is all I'm doing, but if you follow the link on this page to the market, you'll see the screenshots, so you don't have to buy the app to know what I have so far.

Flag Pin - apps

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

An alternative to half-staffing is to border the flag in black, or to add a black streamer to the top of the "pole". Both should be easy to do. You might even be able to animate the black streamer as it waves across the static flag.

Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

3. harmil

harmil New Member

The black border could work. I'll have to see if it's visible enough (it's a pretty tiny area you have to work in). The animation is, sadly, not possible. On Android, you can only animate or do other funky things with a notification when the user explicitly pulls-down the notification bar. So I need something that works for a small (approx 32x32) static icon. Like I say, I'll try out the black border, though. Thanks for that suggestion!

4. mobipeople

mobipeople New Member

Hello Everybody.

In addition to mobile phones, other devices such as tablet computers that run on the Android operating system are also gaining popularity. The consequence of all this is that there is a growing need for Android apps.

All your comment for Android Application Development Are welcome.

Thanks in advance.