Flying a foreign flag in the US

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Chuck09, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Chuck09

Chuck09 New Member

US Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, Sec. 7

My US city continues to fly a foreign flag in place or, and in honor for another country during certain annual promotions. This is a clear violation of the referenced USC above.

Does anyone know what agencies, etc., I can contact to help bring pressure on this city to stop this practice?

Does anyone know what penalties are administered for a violation of this US Code?

Tx.

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Chuck!

My US city continues to fly a foreign flag in place or, and in honor for another country during certain annual promotions. This is a clear violation of [US Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, Sec. 7].

That particular section (the part that starts with "no person shall display . . . ") was not originally part of the code; it was added in the 1950s. You've probably noticed that its tone and wording are different from the rest of the code; it's written in legalese rather than a more conversational style.

First of all, what exactly is the city doing? If they are flying the foreign flag along with the US flag, there's nothing wrong with that, as long as the two flags are at the same height and the US flag is to the viewer's left. If they normally fly the US flag on a pole, but are substituting the foreign flag, then it might come under the "in place of" part of the code. Unless there is a city regulation that requires flying the US flag in that location, however, it would be hard to make a case. What does "in place of" really mean? Either you're flying the US flag, or you are not.

Does anyone know what agencies, etc., I can contact to help bring pressure on this city to stop this practice? Does anyone know what penalties are administered for a violation of this US Code?

There are no penalties for violating the flag code; it is a set of voluntary guidelines.

Peter Ansoff

3. Chuck09

Chuck09 New Member

Peter,

Thank you for your input. The city has placed the Italian flag 'in the place of' and, in addition, 'in honor to' another country. On Main Street, the City took the American flag down from the light poles along the street and replaced it with the Italian flag to honor a European Sister City type promotion. Would anyone like to try and place an American Flag on the streets of a foreign country in the placed of their home flag?

There is no ambiguity in what they are doing. However, all is lost in any complaint to the city simply because there are no consequences for their infraction of the Flag Code as you have so mentioned. This is precisely the insulation they are behaving under.

It is sad day indeed when municipal officials and the citizens of a country are ignorant to the proper respect of our National Ensign. It is a hard fight to support alone and no one locally or at the state level seems to care. However, I do thank you for your reply.

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, Chuck09 ! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !

QUOTE : "On Main Street, the City took the American flag down from the light poles along the street and replaced it with the Italian flag to honor a European Sister City type promotion."

Well, Gee! That doesn't seem SO bad. It's just a few Italian Flags temporarily lining Main Street to help promote a "Sister City" program.

I mean, it's not like they hauled down the Stars & Stripes from the official City Hall flagpole and hoisted up an Italian tri-color in its place.

Now THAT, would be very NAUGHTY indeed !!! :eek:

[ Just my personal opinion - based on the little bit of info posted here. ]

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our forums !

Robin Hickman

5. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

That doesn't seem SO bad. It's just a few Italian Flags temporarily lining Main Street to help promote a "Sister City" program.

I agree, Robin -- I don't see any big issue here. The message is just a friendly recognition of the relationship between the cities. The symbolism might be better if both the US and Italian flags were flown, but maybe there's a logistical reason for not doing that.

I frequently fly foreign flags here at my house, to recognize their national holidays and such. I generally don't fly the US flag along with them unless it's appropriate to the particular event. For example, I fly the US, British and French flags on VE Day, but on Bastille Day I fly the French flag by itself.

Peter Ansoff

6. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, Peter ! :D

I like your idea about flying BOTH countries' Flags. Wish I'd thought of it so I could have included it in MY answer! :cool:

Robin