flying multiple US Flags

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by lukasarts, Jun 18, 2007.

1. lukasarts

lukasarts Guest

I have always been sensitive to improper presentations of the American flag, and the newest one I have encountered is when drill teams on horseback all carry an American flag. Since we should be respectful to the flag, it seems that not only should we be standing through the entire performance, but also saluting it. Then comes the difficulty of saluting 12 different US flags! Is there a protocol for whether multiple US flags may be flown together?

In my search for the answer I came across many references that indicated that the US flag should not be used in apparel. I was wondering about flags worn on uniforms of national teams or athletes, such as in the Olympics. If it is a flag patch, is that appropriate?

Thank you!
    Ami-

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Ami!

Since we should be respectful to the flag, it seems that not only should we be standing through the entire performance, but also saluting it.

The relevant paragraph of the flag code says that one should salute "when the flag is passing in a parade or in review." In the scenario you describe, the flags are displayed throughout the performance, which doesn't really qualify as a "parade." If there's an appropriate time to salute the flags, it would be when the performers first enter the performance area, or when they leave at the end.

Is there a protocol for whether multiple US flags may be flown together?

No, there's no such protocol. I always say, the more flags the better! Obviously, common sense applies, however.

In my search for the answer I came across many references that indicated that the US flag should not be used in apparel. I was wondering about flags worn on uniforms of national teams or athletes, such as in the Olympics. If it is a flag patch, is that appropriate?

Here is what the flag code (para 8) says:

"(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery."

"(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations."

In practice, many other organizations use flag patches as well.

Peter Ansoff