Flying the flag at half-staff

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by EmailPoster, Jun 6, 2006.

1. EmailPoster

EmailPoster New Member

Just a quick question regarding flying the flag at half-staff:...

2. jproffitt10

jproffitt10 Guest

Chuck Finkle,

The U.S. Flag Code gives very specific information on flying the flag at half-staff. While the Code specifically cites principal figures of the government, governors, foreign official and dignitaries or former such officials, it does not provide for flying the flag at half-staff for just about everyone else, unless ordered by the President...HOWEVER...it has become common practice in the United States for local departments, officials, schools, businesses organizations and others to fly the flag at half-staff to mourn the loss of members or important figures of the oprganizations, etc.

So to answer your question, McDonald's flying the flag at half-staff does not meet U.S. Flag Code rules and regulations, but is nonetheless a tradition that has been and will most likely continue.

3. jack1

jack1 Guest

How can i get e-mail stating when to fly my flag at half-staff?

4. sandgman

sandgman Guest

How long should one fly the flag at half-staff when a former president dies?

Thanks,
    sandgman

5. Grywizard

Grywizard Guest

I agree it would be nice if we could notify members when it is appropriate to fly the Flag at half-mast. I think for a former President it is 30 days to show proper respect. Please correct me if am wrong. Thanks.

6. glgibson

glgibson Guest

When there are two flags (USA & State) displayed on a flag pole and there is direction to fly at half mast due to a past president passing away, where is the proper height to display the two flags on the pole?

7. hi67flyer

hi67flyer Guest

Good news. You are correct about 30 days. I just checked the U.S. Flag Code (4 US Code 1) in Section 7 (m) stating the 30 days at half-staff for the death of a President or former President. Have a Happy New Year. Ray

8. :confused: Hello to the American Flag Forum

Does the 30 days to display the flag at half staff begin on the day of death of a former President? Thanks, in advance, for the answer.

howard bragdon

9. JOSEPH LISI

JOSEPH LISI Guest

The US Flag Code says the flag will always be flown at half-staff under the following circumstances:

Quote:
    The flag shall be flown at half-staff thirty days from the death of the President or a former President; ten days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress.
    :)