Flying the flag in rainy weather

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Shelley Mc Call, May 22, 2008.

1. Shelley Mc Call

Shelley Mc Call New Member

Its raining here in Southern California; Where I work has the flags up, shouldnt they come down??? When I was involved with Boy Scouts we taught the boys the flag should not be flown in the rain. Am I right or wrong. Help please.

2. american_flag_uk

american_flag_uk Moderator

hi there and welcome to USA-flag site.

in the flag code- it does state that flags should not fly in 'inclement weather' - that is - rain, storms, hurricanes etc

however - the flag code was written before they started making flags out of nylon - a waterproof plastic material

many flags are made out of this material nowadays seeing as it flies well and resists the rain
    therer is nothing wrong in flying such a flag in the rain. they are colorfast - meaning the colors won't run, and the fabric doesnt take the water into it. - it will dry in about an hour or 2

if the flag is made of cotton it shouldent see the rain thouigh - as they need more care and the wet soaks into it so it takes a long time to dry and you have to make certain its dry before folding it- and the colors may run in them.