Folding of the flag at a funeral

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by ricco, Jan 8, 2009.

1. ricco

ricco New Member

I had attended the burial of a veteran and was impressed with the folding of the American flag by the color guard. I was wondering what the solider said to the surviving member receiving the flag and what was the orgin of folding the flag so slow and deliberate.

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, Ricco - welcome!

I was wondering what the solider said to the surviving member receiving the flag

Each of the military services has its own regulations for this, so it would depend on which one was conducting the ceremony. For example, the Army's FM 3-21.5 says

Upon presentation [of the folded flag], the CAO renders appropriate remarks such as, “As a representative of the United States Army, it is my high privilege to present to you this flag. Let it be a symbol of the grateful appreciation our nation feels for the distinguished service rendered to our country and our flag by your loved one.â€￾

The origins of the flag-folding method are a bit of a mystery. My best guess is that the "tricorn" method was originally created as a practical way that a small number of soldiers could fold a large flag while keeping it clear of the ground.

Best,

Peter Ansoff